The Crawl Chronicles

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glad you got a good crawl session in! I'm really surprised the Atlas couldn't do it.

Congrats to Ogre, and his brethren sends his congrats as well!
a701b416f376c51673ffe421d2b2d7b0.jpg

I honestly thought the Atlas would be the first to make it up. Three different times It got so close. Atlas will get another crack at it! The Atlas has a bit more jump to it because of the extra axle, it tends to tip easier, but then again, it hasn't had any mods to give it a better cg yet.

I will say this the Atlas and the SCX24's tumbled down the steep hill several times, and I mean some pretty hard bounces all the way down, and they all took it like a champ. :thumbs-up:

I will say this the Atlas and the SCX24's tumbled down the steep hill several times, and I mean some pretty hard bounces all the way down, and they all took it like a champ. :thumbs-up:
Gravity tends to be a lot kinder to these small scale, lightweight models.

Some 24 stuff from a few months ago
Pretty funny, was going through this thread one of the guys in this video is my friend. I heard his voice and immediately knew it was him. The little green C10 is the first crawler I ever drove on their indoor garage course. He's the guy that's helping me get my rigs set up. I bought my Defender new in the box from a friend of his. The area they're crawling, I wouldn't say, is right out my back door, but within 20 miles or so from home. He's the guy that built this Amazon box truck.

20230107_170029.jpg

20230107_172038.jpg

Last edited:
This is an area I'm hoping to take my Defender to this summer, going to have to figure a way to transport it up there as the only way to get there is by ATV. Reminds me a bit of your area Xraycer without the lush green. Rocks are very similar.

20200525_144828.jpg

20200525_152832.jpg

20200429_162712.jpg

20200429_152511.jpg

20200429_151544.jpg

Screenshot_20230211_233817_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230211_233952_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230211_233859_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
This is an area I'm hoping to take my Defender to this summer, going to have to figure a way to transport it up there as the only way to get there is by ATV. Reminds me a bit of your area Xraycer without the lush green. Rocks are very similar.

View attachment 160140

View attachment 160141

View attachment 160142

View attachment 160143

View attachment 160144

View attachment 160145

View attachment 160147

View attachment 160146

View attachment 160149
I need to go hang out with you, I can't wait for good weather and a long ATV ride.

Already planning a crawler box for the 4 wheeler to safely transport the Defender to these spots. Needs to be something that is easily removed.
What part of Idaho are you from? Have a brother that lives in Boise.

View attachment 160140

View attachment 160141

View attachment 160142

View attachment 160143

View attachment 160144

View attachment 160145

View attachment 160147

View attachment 160146
Dam that's a beautiful spot for wheeling and bashing,crawling. Or what ever fun you enjoy. Why build a box. Just need some bungee cords. Strap her down and go... or you could just use a backpack to carry the RC, tools, battery. Or whatever else you need to bring out with you sir.... happy bashing

Hell yeah man. Looks awesome. I so miss living in Boulder,CO. I so got to move back. Miss taken the day long wheeler trips. Suck a Zhen hobby. Just you your bike and nature I love it. Well done bud.👍👍

Pretty fortunate to live here. We have a lot of open space, Montana is over 15 ½ times the size of NH with even less people. We certainly don't have the lushness that you guys have, a lot drier climate that's for sure but we get a lot of snow moisture over these winter months. Our expansive views never cease to amaze me and love every opportunity to get out to explore new areas. I sure love the greenery of your area, not sure I could handle the humidity though 😓

Some beautiful shots, some amazing scenery. Looks awesome. We have some nice places here but everything is so overpopulated you just can't get away from people to enjoy nature. They bring their noise and trash with them, not like when we were younger and you could get away.

I agree, even though we don't have the immense population, those that are moving moving in, don't get it. Same things are happening here, trash, not staying on allocated trails, rudeness when meeting on trails, blasting music out where most of us are trying to get away from all of that. Shocking to us country hicks.😵‍💫

Sorry Xraycer, didn't mean to high jack and derail this thread with ATV stuff maybe should post this stuff on another thread let the crawlers occupy the picture frames. I can just imagine crawling on my ATV through your type of greenery, I love the landscape. And I know.... the ATV'S would ruin it.😕

I agree, even though we don't have the immense population, those that are moving moving in, don't get it. Same things are happening here, trash, not staying on allocated trails, rudeness when meeting on trails, blasting music out where most of us are trying to get away from all of that. Shocking to us country hicks.😵‍💫

Sorry Xraycer, didn't mean to high jack and derail this thread with ATV stuff maybe should post this stuff on another thread let the crawlers occupy the picture frames. I can just imagine crawling on my ATV through your type of greenery, I love the landscape. And I know.... the ATV'S would ruin it.😕
I'm absolutely fine with going off topic. It makes for interesting reads and conversations. I'm guilty of it all the time.

You mean like the people that feel the need to blast music on their phone while hiking? Those people suck.

My wife and I toy with the idea of getting a 20ish or more acre piece of property in Eastern WA that is in an undeveloped area so we can go there to play and get away from people. It's getting harder to do here on the west side of the state. Would build a massive crawler course.

I'm trying to make a trip over to Montana to visit our family property and see some family. 100% will take crawlers as I know there are some great places between here and the Bitterroot. I'm thinking Wallace Idaho has to have some great spots just from memories of the drive through there.

Yes exactly "those" type of people, the same ones that think they need to take their dogs "every" place they go. They pick up the dog waste but leave the bag at the trail head. So when you go to take off on a trail there are 15-20 bags of dog crap laying on the ground by the trailhead gate. A few years back we were on a ride on a Monday of all days, and went to one of our normal spots to take some out of town friends to see a great view from an old fire lookout. We got up there and there were probably 45 or 50 twenty somethings at the Lookout with tents set up all over, hammocks hanging in the trees and music blasting over a Bluetooth speaker. One of the guys came down and asked that we not come up because there were several in their group who had their "medical" substance cards and that they would "FEEL" really intimidated if our group camenup there. We had stopped probably 1/2 a mile below the lookout and thought we heard something but didn't know what it was til we got up there. We tried to let them know that we had some friends from out of town that wanted to see the view but they told us to stay away from the lookout, that we could walk around below to see the canyon. So we complied, 15 years ago we would've been greeted and invited to come on up. We didn't let it ruin our evening or our ride but just seems to be the mentality of those moving in.

20200810_203739.jpg

20200810_203807.jpg

20200810_203958.jpg

20200810_204356.jpg

20200810_204453.jpg

20200810_204615.jpg

20200810_210420.jpg

1597708333464_20200810_204402_108798124892349(1).jpg

20200810_212802.jpg

Yes exactly "those" type of people, the same ones that think they need to take their dogs "every" place they go. They pick up the dog waste but leave the bag at the trail head. So when you go to take off on a trail there are 15-20 bags of dog crap laying on the ground by the trailhead gate. A few years back we were on a ride on a Monday of all days, and went to one of our normal spots to take some out of town friends to see a great view from an old fire lookout. We got up there and there were probably 45 or 50 twenty somethings at the Lookout with tents set up all over, hammocks hanging in the trees and music blasting over a Bluetooth speaker. One of the guys came down and asked that we not come up because there were several in their group who had their "medical" substance cards and that they would "FEEL" really intimidated if our group camenup there. We had stopped probably 1/2 a mile below the lookout and thought we heard something but didn't know what it was til we got up there. We tried to let them know that we had some friends from out of town that wanted to see the view but they told us to stay away from the lookout, that we could walk around below to see the canyon. So we complied, 15 years ago we would've been greeted and invited to come on up. We didn't let it ruin our evening or our ride but just seems to be the mentality of those moving in.

View attachment 160363

View attachment 160364

View attachment 160365

View attachment 160366

View attachment 160367

View attachment 160368

View attachment 160369

View attachment 160370

View attachment 160371
Beautiful shots. Where is that?

As far as the situation I'm getting a little more confrontational with behavior like that as I approach 50.

I ran into a similar situation a few years back where a group had actually blocked off the road about a 1/4 mile down from the viewpoint. Similar story "we have our medical cards but people will get nervous".

I told them I had no problem with them smoking whatever they wanted, I have no problems with MJ use, but this was Federal land and if they wanted to block my way I could turn around and make a call to a couple of the Forest Service people I know and probably have someone there that could make their life miserable before they had time to pack up and leave.

They let me pass begrudgingly and in the end all ended up good and I was glad I pushed it because they had a fire going in a bad spot and they actually listened when I pointed out the burn scar down the hill and why their fire pit was hazardous. I helped them clean it up and rebuild the ring, then explained how to fully extinguish it when they were leaving and left a shovel with them because of course with 10 vehicles and 25 people none of them had any outdoor experience and didn't bring one. A buddy and I ended up going back up the next day to check and they had left almost no trash and actually extinguished the fire. They even left the shovel next to the firepit like I told them.

I haven't spent as much time in the woods the last couple of years because Covid drove everyone outside and it made me sick how abused some of my favorite places became.

I was tempted to do that right then and there but the wife was concerned of the repercussions from them. They were renting a federal cabin and could have been in a lot of trouble.people can donwhat theybwant but when there action affects me I get a burr under the saddle. Don't force your likes on me. Do not like the blasting music especially when I've gone through the effort to get out and away from people.

That area is just south of Bozeman Montana, up the Gallatin Canyon. For me about 25 minutes from home to the trailhead. Then only about 4.5 miles up to the look out.

Last edited:
Back