The best 1/10 scale nitro engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubendb

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hi everybody.
I'm new here and wanted to introduce myself and ask a question about my rs4.
Name: Ruben
I'm want to give my 14y old rs4 rtr3 evo a new engine. I managed driving her all those years with a lot off pleasure but the time has come to change te engine. I want to go crazy with the new one but I need some good advise about wich small block engine to buy. I prefer one that's impossible to go full throttle with it from the start. Hopefully you guys can advise me.

Unless you have the tools an experience to change the motor mounts and pinion gears probably have to change your exhaust manifold and throttle Servo positioning. sounds like a lot to go through when it comes with a really strong motor. Upgrading 2 a really strong motor it's just going to cause problems in your drivetrain that is not built for the extra power

Unless you have the tools an experience to change the motor mounts and pinion gears probably have to change your exhaust manifold and throttle Servo positioning. sounds like a lot to go through when it comes with a really strong motor. Upgrading 2 a really strong motor it's just going to cause problems in your drivetrain that is not built for the extra power
I have the tools and I don't mind to adjust everything. I'm used to work on it because I had my share off accidents while bashing it in the past. The engine doesn't performe like it use to do and thats normal after all this years and millages. So I am wondering what the best .12 or os 18 engine to buy.

Attachments

• received_452657348753727.jpeg
    received_452657348753727.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 497
You might want to get some other advice also because if you ask me I say go as big as you can. It's not always the best idea but it seems to be my philosophy.

while i agree to an extent with @BobP , but if you must go that route, you MIGHT be able to squeeze an O.S. .21 TM (the .21TM is a "mid" block designed to be a direct drop in for the Traxxas vehicles, all are small blocks.) in there. that is a LOT of engine though. there is a very good chance you will burn through drivetrain components like they are going out of style.
plus the engine is around 300$
aside from that, the HPI G3.0 (.18) engine is quite powerful and would fit very well on there, dynamite .19 mach 2 could be a good cheap option. could also check out shop.thundertiger.com, that .12 EVO is a very good engine. my friend has that in his RS4 Racer 2 and it is alot of fun.
one of the biggest things it to make sure the crankshaft is the correct style as what is on there, i believe yours has a SG style crankshaft, some pilot style ones will work, but those are typically called Short Crank pilot shaft.
i am curious to see what engine you decide on and install in there.

Last edited:
I can vouch for the Dynamite .19 mach 2, that's a great engine that is a nice upgrade from the Trx 3.3 for the price. If you believe hp ratings, it's roughly a 70% upgrade from the 3.3. The O.S. .21 I believe would require major drivetrain upgrades. I have one in a drag car, and as I'm just breaking it in(nearly there), I'm finding that the power is significantly more.

Not sure about the Rs4 gears ,but a B-block in a 1/10 scale cars are labeled as Nasty 1/10 scale ,an a class does exist
in the RC world!

My friend had custom built his Rs4 with a Hpi 25 engine ,but ,big block power on those cars are way too much power
for a 1/10 scale car ,it causes them to be in controllable as I do have one that he custom built for me with a custom milled
thicker chassy for flexing!

A 18 or the dynamite 19 engine would be a better match for that car!...:cool:

I bought the engine from os max 18 cvr m. Hope this is a good one. Witch engine mount should i buy? And I'm also looking for a second hand hpi rs4 mt2 to upgrade the engine. Thanks for the reply's.
Grtz

Attachments

• 20200110_113101.jpg
    20200110_113101.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 718
while i agree to an extent with @BobP , but if you must go that route, you MIGHT be able to squeeze an O.S. .21 TM (the .21TM is a "mid" block designed to be a direct drop in for the Traxxas vehicles, all are small blocks.) in there. that is a LOT of engine though. there is a very good chance you will burn through drivetrain components like they are going out of style.
plus the engine is around 300$
aside from that, the HPI G3.0 (.18) engine is quite powerful and would fit very well on there, dynamite .19 mach 2 could be a good cheap option. could also check out shop.thundertiger.com, that .12 EVO is a very good engine. my friend has that in his RS4 Racer 2 and it is alot of fun.
one of the biggest things it to make sure the crankshaft is the correct style as what is on there, i believe yours has a SG style crankshaft, some pilot style ones will work, but those are typically called Short Crank pilot shaft.
i am curious to see what engine you decide on and install in there.
I went for the os max 18 cvr m. Any advice for a engine mount and do i need to change the crankshaft?

Attachments

• 20200110_113101.jpg
    20200110_113101.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 331
I went for the os max 18 cvr m. Any advice for a engine mount and do i need to change the crankshaft?

If that is the engine that you got ,you would need to invest in a starter box ,it would be your best bet instead of
trying to outfit it with a pull or roto start set up!
By eliminating a pull start set up ,you eliminate those parts that drag the performance down as most track racers do
use a starter box!

???? indeed stuped ??? stuff happens but i all ready found somene for it i think, thankgod i have a friend who s into the rc boats and submarines world. Stupid me... ?‍♂️?‍♂️

Last edited by a moderator:
???? indeed stuped ??? stuff happens but i all ready found somene for it i think, thankgod i have a friend who s into the rc boats and submarines world. Stupid me... ?‍♂️?‍♂️

Well at least ,it is a high end engine ,you should not have no problem on a resale on it!...:thumbs-up:

that is a marine engine, i am not familiar with marine engines, but as long as the engine mounts screw holes are the same in the crankcase the stock should be fine, but yes, a new crank will be necessary. also, unless you do plan on doing a full watercool system (i.e. water pump, radiator, etc.) you will also need to swap out to a different head.

personally if i were you i would return it.
if you were wanting this one because it was O.S. you might keep your eyes out for a NOS O.S. .18 CVR (not am "M" version, the M signifies "marine".) on ebay.
i beleive that truck uses a rotary carb, i think with some linkage work and servo 180 spin, you can swap them to a slide carb (do not quote me on that).

i do believe that you need a "SG" type crankshaft for that vehicle, or a "short pilot shaft" type.

short of finding the O.S. the only readily available small block engines i can think of with rotary carb, and correct crank would be the HPI G3.0, or an SH with a short/shortened crank.
i do beleive you can also replace the flywheel with a shallow flywheel (like maybe a traxxas one) and use the long pilot shaft type. (did something like that with a friends RS4 2, as he was unable to locate a flywheel that would work. )

we have definitely all been there lol, buy something that you think is going to work, but in the end turns out either read description wrong, or just wrong application.
hope you are able to get it sorted!

Well at least ,it is a high end engine ,you should not have no problem on a resale on it!...:thumbs-up:
What do you think about the os 18cvr? Normally that was the engine that i wanted to order.

What about this one? Any toughts?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200103-214734_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200103-214734_Samsung Internet.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 1,044
What about this one? Any toughts?
first qestion:
O.S. .18 CVR - Great engine, good performance, long life span (even with me being brand new to nitro and not having any clue how to tune), harder to find nowadays though.

second engine - i dont have any experience with that engine itself, that is a .12, so definitely a smaller engine, but it looks to be a good one, looks to be a race engine at that. it is a picco (also a great company), that is a slide carb, so like said above, slight modification may be necessary.

What do you think about the os 18cvr? Normally that was the engine that i wanted to order.

You can find them ,but they run up to almost $ 200 bucks ,that engine was a perfect match for those street cars & 1/10
stadium trucks an were very popular to have in the day ,I have one on my AE.10 stadium truck .an it has extreme power!...:p

Back