Teardown and rebuild of a Duratrax Axis

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Enuahs

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Had some of this on a RCNitroTalk forum but thought it would be better to put the rest of the work here.

So background, a friend found this car and had not idea what it was or how to get it running. I have a couple of Nitro cars that I have fun with as often as I can so I said I would happily rebuild it for him.

Better to tear apart his car than mine right ;-)

20141002_170629.jpg

20141002_170639.jpg

Started the strip down.
20141005_111618.jpg

Clean up and assessment
ckc-UuWjlykQRPrF1Z_HvHqgkXL9N48S3Zz1DKBXPVEG=w288-h162-p-no.jpg

So the other night I started the rebuild of the differentials!!!!!
Not a bit of oil in any of them..
FpjRz2eDyWWeT3LzA7fzBttnKTe-IOp9ZRv1Ay4AtD5o=s217-p-no.jpg

Say what you want about the quality of the Duratrax (I have read many of them) the gears were in really good shape for not having any oil and lots of dirt.

Last edited:
Some diffs use oil, some use grease. Did your diffs have anything besides dirt in them?

Some diffs use oil, some use grease. Did your diffs have anything besides dirt in them?

It must have been oil because there was nothing in them at all. A little oily and dirty that's it.

Cleaned and oiled up. I added some grease around the edge to hopefully act as a seal.
TlkLqPAPg9I8wrfF9okGNAljutMVupYp6MeL_Wfz2Erl=w288-h162-p-no.jpg

Then my first replacement part showed up :) the reset should be delivered tomorrow. Thank you ebay this would been a very different project without it.
H40QjaboQ4c_ExDIKNMh5W2ABudr0sSaff-u6xZ99MNX=w269-h150-p-no.jpg

Until the other parts show this is pretty much as far as I can go tonight
KeH9vpMG3tP3mxAtzoMT7K2vE1ZxtPYoPkVm7KHDkTL4=w288-h162-p-no.jpg

Latest photos of my progress.
Getting close to a roller.
_PuawGprAcPXojsD8x9VEehNzem1HUX5sb5yg_lxfw=w361-h202-p-no.jpg
h0OELUYVB7IdfhAhMmwWxZmKO0Koe6CTg5HDvskfLw=w360-h202-p-no.jpg

The carburetor was a mess I forgot to get pictures before I cleaned it up. All the components looks to be in good shape just really dirty.

0DDIg8yW7nSw6PRAB3eWD1IFkfDJZBX-yVdulcGhhA=w361-h202-p-no.jpg
fBi9_gZCzRcAyLqVeHG65vZGaZ1R8Dql0uWE1YsWoQ=w361-h202-p-no.jpg

This picture does not do it justice but the engine is a black sticky mess also. :(

Last edited:
Coming along nicely buddy, keep up the good work.

Coming along nicely buddy, keep up the good work.

Thanks, It has been fun and alot less complicated than I expected. Or maybe i am diluting myself :)
I can't wait to start tweaking my Traxxas sport!

Looks super nice! I love these clean up jobs...

Thanks for the complement! Whats better than rebuilding R/C and then running them right!? Build run fix brake remake!

Well She is now a roller
I still really need to clean up or replace the rims but right now I just want to see her move :)
20141017_162331.jpg

Engine all back together and sealed up.
20141017_150757.jpg

Pull start added
20141017_162439.jpg

Now I get to wait for the silicon to dry over night. I guess I could install the engine while i wait.

I still need to find some place to get a seal for the gas cap. Any thoughts?
Qj2aofv1LxAYlA6cYruByKmhNomkihcqOyfGPnrU2A=w231-h207-p-no.jpg

Well she started up today. I still need to pickup some stuff but the engine started and ran.

20141030_070521%5B1%5D.jpg

20141030_070533%5B1%5D.jpg

20141030_070548%5B1%5D.jpg

Well there she is all back together!!!!!
I just need to find a body now and she should be good to go. I was planing on bringing it down to my LHS to see what he has that will fit since finding an original stock one on the net has been a bust. I was even searching sites in Italy with no luck.

I have not had a chance to really run it yet, I hope tonight. It did start right up though, I must admit i was a little surprised since this was the first time i striped down a nitro engine and rebuilt it :)

Wow that's a helluva transformation. Are you reluctant to give it back to your buddy?:p Have you got any more run time on it?

Finding a body to fit an 1/8 buggy shouldn't be too difficult. I prefer the newer style bodies with the higher roof line like the Proline Bulldog or the HPI Trophy 3.5. for example. There's less chance of your air filter being mashing against your throttle servo with a taller body. You could use a low profile air filter such as this if you do encounter interference issues.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/HoBao-1-8-H...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5b0718cdae
Its a good idea to invest in a body reamer, lexan scissors and an Xacto knife if you don't have them already because you will be doing some trimming, guaranteed

I would agree on the body thing, if it is the right scale size and you compare the mount style / wheel wells / engine hole etc you should be able to match one up. Especially if you get something un-cut and un-painted then you could set up your mount holes etc yourself!

It does look awesome! Looks like it will rip!