Tamiya Hot Shot (re-re) Project

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Build Process: Step 35

Step 35 involves assembling the dummy heat-sinks.

Here are the instructions:
Step 35 Instructions.jpg

Here are the parts laid out:
Step 35 Parts.jpg

Step 35 Commentary:

This was a straightforward step. I remember how cool the real heat sinks were back in 1985, so although they are not needed these days, I’m glad that Tamiya kept these dummy ones on the buggy.

Here is the step completed:
Step 35 Done.jpg

Build Process: Step 36

Step 36 involves attaching the heat sinks, routing the antenna wire and connecting the motor cables.

Step 36 Instructions.jpg

Step 36 Parts.jpg

Step 36 Commentary:

This was another straightforward step. I was impressed at how short the antenna wire is these days.

Step 36 Done.jpg

Upgraded Remote Control Wheel:

Although I am happy with my Flysky FS-G7P transmitter, I was unhappy with the cheap plastic control wheel that came with it. I saw a YouTube reviewer that contacted the company to get their optional foam wheel, so I tried contacting them as well. Well, they didn’t even respond, even after multiple attempts. That was very disappointing.

Yeah Racing Foam Wheel - Transmitter Before.jpg

So, I researched another foam wheel that would fit, and the closest product was the Yeah Racing Foam Wheel Part number YA-0626SV. This is an "aluminum transmitter steering wheel set in silver, Type B, for Flysky NB4" It didn’t specifically list my transmitter model number, but I took a chance.

Here is the wheel in the package.
Front:
Yeah Racing Foam Wheel.jpg

Back:
Yeah Racing Foam Wheel back.jpg

To take off the original wheel, I just needed to remove one hex screw in the hub.
Yeah Racing Foam Wheel - removing stock wheel.jpg

The new wheel came with the necessary square adapter, and it looked like it would be compatible.
Yeah Racing Foam Wheel - Square adapter.jpg

Here is the wheel installed and a comparison:
Yeah Racing Foam Wheel - Transmitter After.jpg

Yeah Racing Foam Wheel - installed.jpg

This wheel is real aluminum, sturdy, of high quality, and feels much better that the hard plastic one. This was definitely worth the $18.

Build Process: Step 37

Step 37 involves attaching the battery plate.

Step 37 Instructions.jpg

Step 37 Parts 2.jpg

Step 37 Commentary:

Other than using the screws to attach the carbon fiber battery plate to the aluminum hinge, you need to cut the longer foam sheet in half lengthwise.

Step 37 Parts.jpg

Here is the protective foam placed:
Step 37 Foam placed.jpg

Step 37 Done.jpg

Wow, it was a busy (and hot) summer for me. Now that things have calmed down a little, I can continue with this build.

Build Process: Step 38 (Original)

Step 38 involves assembling the rims and tires. I chose to get a second set of optional rims (as mentioned in post 6 ) and tires (post 10), so I’ll outline these in a separate post.

Step 38 Instructions.jpg

Step 38 Parts - Plastic rims.jpg

Step 38 Commentary:

For the original set, I chose to leave the white plastic rims unpainted like I did in 1985. The tires were quite pliable but it was still a bit challenging to stretch them around the rims and fit the beads into the pair of grooves.

Step 38 Done Plastic rims.jpg

Build Process: Step 38 (Optional)

Here is Step 38 for the second set of optional wheels/rims and tires.

Here are parts in their packages:
Step 38 Optional Rims and tires.jpg

Step 38 Parts Optional Rims and tires.jpg

Step 38 Commentary:

These RCAidong wheels / rims are excellent quality and look just like the originals. The Tamiya Hotshot tires were again, quite pliable but it was still a bit challenging to stretch them around the rims and fit the beads into the pair of grooves.

Step 38 Done Optional Rims and tires.jpg

Well, it has been another busy two months. Fortunately for me, I'm doing the Hotshot as a shelf queen and I'm not in a rush to get it done at the expense of a quality job. I work on it when I have the time to sit down and relax. Sorry to all readers about the delay. On to the next step:

Build Process: Step 39

Step 39 involves attaching the wheels and the antenna.

Step 39 Instructions.jpg

Step 39 Parts.jpg

Step 39 Commentary:

This was a straightforward step. I opted to install the upgraded Aluminum wheels first. Also, there is a choice of a metal antenna and a nylon tube version. Because of the new radio technology that only needs a short antenna wire, I installed this one first. I may cut it down to 3 or 4 inches as the antenna wire only needs the first inch of the tube. The Metal version is what I had on my original 1985 buggy, so I’ll likely install that at some point for nostalgic purposes.

Step 39 Done.jpg

This thing is looking awesome!

Well, it has been another busy two months. Fortunately for me, I'm doing the Hotshot as a shelf queen and I'm not in a rush to get it done at the expense of a quality job. I work on it when I have the time to sit down and relax. Sorry to all readers about the delay. On to the next step:

Build Process: Step 39

Step 39 involves attaching the wheels and the antenna.

View attachment 176281

View attachment 176282

Step 39 Commentary:

This was a straightforward step. I opted to install the upgraded Aluminum wheels first. Also, there is a choice of a metal antenna and a nylon tube version. Because of the new radio technology that only needs a short antenna wire, I installed this one first. I may cut it down to 3 or 4 inches as the antenna wire only needs the first inch of the tube. The Metal version is what I had on my original 1985 buggy, so I’ll likely install that at some point for nostalgic purposes.

View attachment 176283

This thing is looking awesome!
You do builds like I do builds :) Looks good! <3

Back