I.R.P. Turnbuckles for Stock and FLM Ext arms.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmahh

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hello Folks. I would like to take a bit of bandwidth and give my thoughts on the I.R.P. (Inertia Racing Products) Turnbuckles.

Buddy and I discussed these last fall as he was releaseing them. I was excited when he described them to me. Once he sent me a few sneak peak pics, i knew i had to have some. we talked a bit more and when he decided to offer the FLM set, i decided to hang back a bit until he got those done also. so last fall i got both a stock set and an ext set for the ext FLM arms. i also got the spacers at the same time with them.

when they arrived, they were well packaged, and looked good. i didnt take many pics, but managed to get afew i will post up in a bit. I really like the look. the Hex adjustment being toward the out side makes for easy adjustments. the locking nuts are a nice point to keep things in place. With the stock setups, (ends and balls) i often found the ends have worked themselves to one side or the other, and I had to keep up checking them to make sure the ball ends wouldnt bind form being turned all the way. with the IRPs and the nuts, once you set the ball angel/tierod length between balls, the lock nuts holds thigs from self adjusting when running.

the heim joints are very smooth and offer little to no risistance when moving, but are slop free. movement is very smooth and fluid with them out of package, and installed. due to the somewhat funny angles of the hub turning arms, the stand offs help maintain clearance, function, and articulation thru the turning radius of the tierods, so it doesn't hit or bind up on the arm when in certain positions. I'm not fully knowledgeable about the construction but can say they are steel heims, and feel very beefy. even so, the full setup Is lighter than a full stock setup with an aftermarket tierod.

Its not that the other units available dont work, because they work quite well, but as long as they continue to use the stock ball ends and balls, they ll suffer the same pitfalls of the stockers without the bending breakig issues the stockers have. they will still wear the plastic ends and you will eventually start popping them off and need to replace parts.

2nd issue with the plastic ends is adjustments. i have never been able to get a good tierod adjustment with the tie rods intalled. the friction of the plastic end around the tierods always would pop the ball off the end piece long before i was able to make the adjustment. this resulted in just taking them off to make any adjustments, then reinstalling. not hard, but time consuming.

both of these issues/quirks are eliminated using the IRP turnbuckles.
you gain strength, durability, easy of maintenance and adjustability with out haveing to remove them. the slop from the stock and aftermarket ball ends is gone. the system is just as smooth, if not smoother than the stock type setups, and you save a small amount of weight in the process of adding them.

while the spacers are needed for the FLM setups, they arent so much needed on the stock setups, but do offer some benefits, so i would suggest buying the spacers at the same time, as they will help keep things free moving and well setup.

i ve got about 3 or 4 tanks thru the stock size units on my heavey Super Buggy cage. its weighing in at 33.5 plus lbs and has had some good jumps and spills in the few tanks I've been able to get thru.

With the FLM set, I have only been able to run one tank of fuel thru with them istalled at MotoRama a few weeks back. Being ran on a 1:1 MX track, wasn't brutal, but it certainly put the bajas thru their paces. i ended up doing ok, but DNFd from my pinion bolt not getting fully tightened back up (DOH). The steering was much better, and more precise. the lack of slop helped me maintian control on the whoops and thru the corners. Even when on speed, I could notice the improved control and lack of steering slop I previously had.

I do have to mention I recently installed the PA Racing steering plate and the new Hitec 5755MG servo and 8MM Rhino horn on the otherwise stock whiper setup. while the servo helped maintain pricise turn radius, and the PA bracket reduced or eliminated any radio box flex the rig was seeing, overall with the IRPs, things were much better. I still note a small bit of slop in the front axles now, so i ll be adding some shims to them very soon. and then i have a small bit left in the stock whiper setup. But this too will soon be eliminated, for an overall improved steering setup.

All in all i give the IRP turnbuckles a very high score.
Assembly is very easy.
Setup and adjustability is a snap. threds turn smooth and simple, and lock nuts keep things in the correct postion.
They look very good. Nice style adding some bling, but the performance and function they offer is way more important than the good looks. But the Fact the also look great, is a big bonus imo.

If your Racing, the Precision Manufactuing, Durability and Ease of Adjustment to suit your needs are huge points of interest.
if your Bashig the Durability and Ease of setup as well as longevity in even some of the most extreme bashing enviroments are your huge points of interest.
Hell, even if you built a shelf queen, they look as nice as they work, so that is a big point for you blingers as well.

I think Buddy has an excellent product with the IRP Turnbuckles, designed and manufactured to just work, right here in the USofA. If you want to add some more precision to your steering unit, save a bit of weight, and remove slop and the aggrevation of sloppy ball ends and popping off end, then these IRP Turnbuckles are the way forward.

Like a number of the top quality Aftermarket Manufacturers of HPI Baja 5X parts, IRP is commited to bringing you quality items, that are well desinged, that work as stated, and have the Mark of Excellence that has been a long and proud tradition of Quality Engineering and Manufactureing here in America.

I'm happy to have been previledged to be able to check these out and put them thru some paces.
I will ofcourse be updating this thread/review as runtime and use are done.

I have to also get some pics. i know i took some and uploaded them, but I'm having trouble finding them. but I'm pretty sure i have them, though they may of been on my puter when it crashed on my last fall. at any rate i ll get some pics up, but we all know what they look like and how they go. but.....

I ll be doing a string of reviews in the coming months on many pieces I've been using/abusing for a while now.

OK as Promised

on the Super Buggy

DSCN6222.jpg

DSCN6221.jpg

DSCN6219.jpg

DSCN6220.jpg

and on the Hooters Baja with the FLM Extended arms

DSCN6223.jpg

DSCN6224.jpg

DSCN6225.jpg

all better now. lol

ok, Yes, only the 1 inner Heim is bent just a little bit. But Becuase i know it Drives SCOTT (Hndaman1) crazy, and i like watching crazy people do their thing, very intersting things happen. lol.

This setup is one of the original setups. so the Heims I have arnt as strong as the ones that come in the kits now. Thats why my set is a PROTOTYPE set, but with winter here, i just havent had the weather to test them out.

Anyways, If one prefers, or knows they are going big, bad and run hard, IRP has Crome Moly Heims available from his web site directly. www.inertiaracingproducts.com. look to the parts page, and you ll find them their. the ChroMo Heims are very very heavy duty and if you do have a problem with these Heims, you have BIG PROBLEMS.

Here is more from Gizmo (Buddy) on the setup.

Hey Guys,
I want to make sure to let you know the issue is/has been addresed and make perfectly clear this minor issue is on the FLM extended set ups only. the issue can be resolved by running limiting cables to control the max extension on down droop. there are many of you guys with the FLM's that have zero issues and a very,very slight few that have an issue. as acepaint said for an instant fix you can run double nuts for one, add the limiting cables for two. the 3rd way is to contact me about a new " Basher Series " 4130 Chrome Moly rod end. this will eliminate the issue. as far as the double nuts go with the standard rod ends, if you contact me i will ship them out @ no charge. If you want the Chrome Moly Basher Series i will sell them to you @ my cost. this offer is only for those of you that have a legit issue and i will require pics of the parts.
Out of the 100's of sets of these turnbuckles out there the failure rate is next to none, less than 1% and in every single failure it was due to very Exteme use by the customers own admission. i have replaced the parts in each case @ no charge. i don't know of too many manufacturers that will replace parts when being basically abused. they all have a disclaimer in thier warranty that states " replacement of failed part within reasonable or normal use" i read that as normal use, not jumping these 35 pound cars off a 40 sand dune into one wheel landers and cartwheeling for 50 feet, or smacking rocks, curbs, or walls at a race event, or taking a direct shot from another 35 pound car at 40 mph.

As Tim said my turnbuckles are not the only ones out there that have an issue in that type of use. I also cannot control the aftermaket parts being used in conjunction with the tie rods that may or may be made to the exact factory specs of the original parts.

Case and point, the aftermarket Billet Bell Crank Systems that are on the market are NOT made exactly to the same specs as factory Bell cranks, be it bigger, longer, thicker wiper arms or the fact that these Biller bell cranks take away any flex that was designed by HPI in the factory plastic bell crank. This in turn tranfers the energy throughout the other suspension components, shock towers,steering arms, tie rods and tie rod ends, and lets not forget the Servo itself. IMO these bell cranks do more harm than good and there are many documented threads and posts in reference to the issues the parts create.
So in summary i will take care of any reasonable legit failure in my parts, but be forwarned there will be questions and there will have to be legit proof of failed parts.
I am not being a hard ass here but i will not go broke either on false claims, the margin on these tie rods is slim to none as it is.

My new website will be up later today so you can see the new parts.

Thanks,
Giz.

Back