T-Maxx shocks keep coming apart

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stock? Aftermarket? Coming apart where? Ends ripping off, shafts ripping out, caps popping off?
I've got Rd logics bulkheads, A-arms and shock towers and I got a set of big bore shocks from rc world and the shafts keep coming out of the cylinders on two of the shocks, I haven't even driven the truck with them on it, I can't keep the c-clips on the shock shafts, I contacted the seller and they said I had too much A-arm travel, causing them to pull apart

I've got Rd logics bulkheads, A-arms and shock towers and I got a set of big bore shocks from rc world and the shafts keep coming out of the cylinders on two of the shocks, I haven't even driven the truck with them on it, I can't keep the c-clips on the shock shafts, I contacted the seller and they said I had too much A-arm travel, causing them to pull apart
I thought that was part of the shocks job was to hold the swing arms up

In many instances, the shock is the extension limiter, however, it puts a lot of strain on the shocks. Many trucks have a physical limitation in the arm somewhere that limits how far down it can go. The breaking of shocks from over extension is usually exacerbated when large/heavy wheels/tires are used. I had that issue on my ERBE when I ran 3.8" trenchers. If they weren't being pulled too far, they were being compressed too far, and both instances caused shock damage. I ended up going back to smaller/lighter wheels/tires and then it's fine.

Trucks with droop screws can help the issue somewhat by having the droop screw set to make contact before full extension. However, in a crash, the arms will still flex/bend beyond the droop screw and still do damage.

You can try figuring out shock limiters using straps.

Might just be they are cheap shocks. Shocks that use c-clips vs a nut inside are typically weaker.

In many instances, the shock is the extension limiter, however, it puts a lot of strain on the shocks. Many trucks have a physical limitation in the arm somewhere that limits how far down it can go. The breaking of shocks from over extension is usually exacerbated when large/heavy wheels/tires are used. I had that issue on my ERBE when I ran 3.8" trenchers. If they weren't being pulled too far, they were being compressed too far, and both instances caused shock damage. I ended up going back to smaller/lighter wheels/tires and then it's fine.

Trucks with droop screws can help the issue somewhat by having the droop screw set to make contact before full extension. However, in a crash, the arms will still flex/bend beyond the droop screw and still do damage.

You can try figuring out shock limiters using straps.

Might just be they are cheap shocks. Shocks that use c-clips vs a nut inside are typically weaker.
What's a good shock for a tmaxx?

The ones I have would barely hold the truck up, had to run the adjusters down all the way
probably the "best" shocks were the powerstrokes from the early 2000s, newer ones i hear are decent as well but not as good.
though the big bores as olds said where about the most common and recommended upgrade shock for the T-Maxx for many, many years.
with all that extra weight those springs are very soft to begin with, id say go a bit stiffer.
do remember, ride height for those trucks, the driveshafts should only be slightly sloped up if not level to the ground. (also referred to as "bones level". that gives you an idea on how much the shocks should droop.
where are you attempting to have your truck sit as far as ride height? if you have the truck sitting at the top of the stroke of the spring, your trying to pre-load the springs wayy to stiff, and you will have horrid ride quality, also resulting in too much tension pushing the shock shaft through the c-clip as described. (you may need to replace the C-clips or try to bend them back slightly as when getting popped through it may have damaged/bent them.)
again as olds said many times the shocks do limit the travel, i think that the T-maxx had little tabs on the skid plate that stopped the arms from dropping anymore, but many times aluminum arms are thinner so they dont impact as the plastic ones would. you can get shock limiter straps as well if it comes to it.