T-maxx Brushless conversion

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

croccodillo

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello all,

I know this has been asked too much times, but I have to.
I have this old T-Maxx 3.3 (49077-1 model), which has been sitting on a shelf for too long.
I removed the engine (sold), the fuel tank, and everything related to the nitro compartment.
I left the original 2-speed transmission and mechanical brakes, which I want to reuse.
I developed a small electronic board, with a microcontroller, with split the throttle signal into two different signal:
- A forward only signal to the Esc, when you pull the trigger
- A brake only signal, when you push the trigger

Now, I'm also a good mechanical fabricator, with access to a CNC mill, a lathe and a 3D printer, so building parts is not an issue.

My doubt is which Brushless motor/esc combo shoud I use for this beast.
I'm a brushed guy, I used tons of brushed system, even developed and built two different brushed ESCs in the past (still when EVX-2 was not on the market, and I needed amn ESC able to handle 12 cell NiMh packs).

I'd like to find a really, really cheap combo, a chinese one (I'm really short on money, in this period; my wife has decided to revolutionize home furnishings, and I cannot show her too big RC expenses.

There are (too) many on the market, I have no idea on which to choose.

Any suggestion?
Something I can find on Aliexpress or Banggood?

Or, at least, can you help me with some characteristics (KV, size, etc.) I should search for the motor and ESC?

Thank you in advance.

Ciao
Giovanni

@croccodillo I would recommend checking out the offerings from Hobbywing. They have great brushless motors for a very reasonable price.

Thank you for your reply, I will look at them.
In the meantime, what about Surpass Hobby 4076 motor?
They should be Racestar/GooIrc clones, and can be found for cheap on AliExpress.
Maybe combined with same brand 120A esc.
Anyone used them?

Thank you for your reply, I will look at them.
In the meantime, what about Surpass Hobby 4076 motor?
They should be Racestar/GooIrc clones, and can be found for cheap on AliExpress.
Maybe combined with same brand 120A esc.
Anyone used them?
ESC's are one thing i wouldnt skim out on, Goolrc are kind of cheaper knock-offs/clones to my understanding, and a clone of that would have me skeptical, motors i hear people have luck with Goolrc etc, but i haven't seen to many that still run their escs.
i recommend hobbywing ESC's and get a cheaper motor for now. might be able to go to something like Jenny's RC (they tear down new kits for parts to sell separately) and may be able to find a arrma esc. (Arrma rebadges HW)
something like this maybe? https://jennysrc.com/products/arrma...n-typhon-ar106021?_pos=2&_sid=0c01c71a2&_ss=r
handles 6s even. are you planning on 3s, 4s, or 6s?

Thank you for your answer.
First of all, I'm not sure which voltage I will run: I have several packs, 2s and 3s, so I could combine them as I prefer, from 2s to 6s.
I'm not a speed guy, instead I would prefer a torque motor, so I can use the truck wherever I like.
I would say I will run 3s (single Pack) or 4s (2 2s packs in series).
So, I think I will buy a Surpass Hobby motor, and will follow your advice and search for a better ESC.
What KV should I prefer for 3s and 4s operation?
2000, 2250, 2650 RPM/V?

Thank you for your answer.
First of all, I'm not sure which voltage I will run: I have several packs, 2s and 3s, so I could combine them as I prefer, from 2s to 6s.
I'm not a speed guy, instead I would prefer a torque motor, so I can use the truck wherever I like.
I would say I will run 3s (single Pack) or 4s (2 2s packs in series).
So, I think I will buy a Surpass Hobby motor, and will follow your advice and search for a better ESC.
What KV should I prefer for 3s and 4s operation?
2000, 2250, 2650 RPM/V?
as far as the motor goes, mainly depends on gearing, i would look at what others have done with their T-Maxx BL conversions and go from there. personally i like lower KV because they have a bit more torque and its easier to gear up if you want more speed. to me it seems lower kv is more stable. just make sure the ESC ratings on whichever you chose are capable of the KV /cell ratings you want.

Back