Suspension upgrade

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks fantastic love it.

1. When is a good time to take apart the engine for a good thorough cleaning.

2. I use Prather oil it what was recommended is that alright?

3. Should I store my engine in a plastic bad for winter time after applying oil in carb and glow plug area

4. I wonder what kinda speed I could get.
1) Anytime you need/want

2) Any ARO will work.

3) Once youve lubed it up real good with ARO then there shouldnt be any need to put it in a bag but you could if you wanted/needed

4) Good question... Let us know :)

Alright so if you're in the market for a nitro monster truck and have a budget of around 250 what are some good brands that have plenty of parts to look out for?

Alright so if you're in the market for a nitro monster truck and have a budget of around 250 what are some good brands that have plenty of parts to look out for?
I dont think you're going to find a quality RTR nitro kit of any kind for around $250. A TMAXX Classic is around $410 and even the nitro Rustler is like $360ish.

1) Brand kinda depends on your budget. Cheaper budget brands would be HoBao, SH, LRP, or Dynamite come to mind. More expensive stuff O.S., Werks, REDs, and Tekno come to mind.

2) As long as the motor shaft is the same diameter it should work.

3) As long as its the same block size. .21 engine come in small and big block sizes. Smaller than .21 is generally going to be a small block and bigger than .21 is generally a big block up to at least .32 size. Not sure past .32 where the block size changes.

Someone feel free to correct me on 2 or 3 but I'm 95% sure that info is correct.
I take it that I just use a caliper and measure the shaft from side to side?

Looks fantastic love it.

1. When is a good time to take apart the engine for a good thorough cleaning.

2. I use Prather oil it what was recommended is that alright?

3. Should I store my engine in a plastic bad for winter time after applying oil in carb and glow plug area

4. I wonder what kinda speed I could get.

Its a good idea especially if your in a high moister state!.. :thumbs-up: :cool:
If you pull the back plate ,make sure the piston is in at the top of
of the sleeve before you pry the backplate off so you dont break the
skirt off of the piston ,some backplates have a groove in them where
the piston dips down in!..:thumbs-up:
An a good idea to take detail photo's ,so if any problems ,you can
go back an review them!

Ok major problem here with this engine. my crankshaft length is 26mm where as this is only 15mm what do I need to do look for an engine the same length?

Ok major problem here with this engine. my crankshaft length is 26mm where as this is only 15mm what do I need to do look for an engine the same length?

Yea I noticed that ,I think you may can put a clutch nut that has a pilot shaft on it ,like this one!

1666035549718.png

Do I need special tools to do all this?

Do I need special tools to do all this?

No ,an I am not a 100% sure that the optional clutch pilot will work ,but it
is hard to find that small engine with the same specs as yours ,that is the
whole issue!
Your engine is a rotary carb & side header exhaust ,to change to a slide carb &
rear exhaust ,you may have other issues!.. 🤔 :cool:

No ,an I am not a 100% sure that the optional clutch pilot will work ,but it
is hard to find that small engine with the same specs as yours ,that is the
whole issue!
Your engine is a rotary carb & side header exhaust ,to change to a slide carb &
rear exhaust ,you may have other issues!.. 🤔 :cool:
I know this may sound pretty stupid but I just want to ask any way. Would it be possible to glue that pad back into the wrist pin?

You might be able to use a red Loc-tite ,once they are in & piston in ,the sleeve itself
may keep them in place!
Ok so I took a look at the manual they give, and they do use a nut with a longer end on it coming off the flywheel. I did measure the end of the nut which was all I could get to at the time. And the diameter was 5mm so I moved onto the clutch shoes which I have some weird clutch shoes which do not seem to have a completely round spring but two separate small ones that attach to each side. I was unable to get those off today because frankly I did not want to break them.

Ok so I took a look at the manual they give, and they do use a nut with a longer end on it coming off the flywheel. I did measure the end of the nut which was all I could get to at the time. And the diameter was 5mm so I moved onto the clutch shoes which I have some weird clutch shoes which do not seem to have a completely round spring but two separate small ones that attach to each side. I was unable to get those off today because frankly I did not want to break them.

I can't remember on what I am using on my smaller engines ,but I do know that they are not
2 shoe clutch with a wrap around spring ,mine are all 3 shoe clutch set up on my 12 ,an 18
size engines ,an those are on my on road cars ,not sure if I have the pilot shaft nut ,I have to
look at them ,but I do have a couple laying around!
Here is a pic but the pic is a little blurry!

1666049783782.png

1666049809176.png

Ok so I made some progress with getting more of the engine taken apart. The diameter seems to be the same size as the vx-18 (5mm) you mentioned. My problem is how do I measure the crankshaft size? The vx-18 says its 15mm.

Pics!
IMG_0341.JPG
IMG_0342.JPG
IMG_0343.JPG

So far from my perspective it seems like the vx-18 would work if my crankshaft is the same length.

Ok so I made some progress with getting more of the engine taken apart. The diameter seems to be the same size as the vx-18 (5mm) you mentioned. My problem is how do I measure the crankshaft size? The vx-18 says its 15mm.

Pics!
View attachment 154478View attachment 154479View attachment 154480

So far from my perspective it seems like the vx-18 would work if my crankshaft is the same length.

So it seems that ,you already have the drive washer & the pilot shaft that should fit the size 18?..👍😎

So it seems that ,you already have the drive washer & the pilot shaft that should fit the size 18?..👍😎
Well I want to try that first before anything else. I am ordering from amazon in the event I have to return it.

1. Do I absolutely need a flywheel wrench and valve lock tool?

2. In the event I need another flywheel etc would this work ok - Link

Well I want to try that first before anything else. I am ordering from amazon in the event I have to return it.

1. Do I absolutely need a flywheel wrench and valve lock tool?

2. In the event I need another flywheel etc would this work ok - Link

That is a nice one!..:thumbs-up:
I dont use the flywheel wrench or the locking tool ,I use just a simple pair
of channel locks & a 1/4 drive deep well socket!

Alright then Imma go for it.

On a side note if you had a choice between super glue or JB Weld which would you use?

JB weld if it is anywhere around heat or heat related ,super glue will crystalize an become brittle!
Great! Glad I asked then.

I will let you know how everything turns out

Thanks again.