Support your LHS, WHY!#?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wigsplittah

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Ok, I hear a lot of you preaching that "you shouldn't buy online, support your local hobby store". Well why should I support my LHS if they try to sell my junk every time I walk into the door? I wanted to buy a Savage 25 RTR and they wouldn't leave me alone about some crap raptor truck that was $20 less then the savage. On top of that, when I need a assortment of parts, my LHS always has to order at least one of the parts I need.

* So why should I support my LHS if it's like walking into a small, used car lot.
(crooked sales)

* Why should I wait a week plus to get my parts, when I order them online and get them in 1/2 the time.

* Why should I pay crazy prices for stuff? If I walk in with $1500 CASH for parts.. I might get a free glow plug out of it.. that's not how you do business.
spend $1500 with an online shop and I beat you they cut you deal.
Yes I know about over-head costs and what not... but the local hobby shops around the san francisco bay area are all shady.

My best experience ever with a hobby shop was Hobbytown in Concord, California. They sold me what I wanted, nothing more -- nothing less. They also had a huge selection of parts.

just my :2cents: :cheers:

Last edited:
so go 2 the good shop and bail on the crap 1. if u want 2 order somethin 4 a project or somethin u instend 2 do down the road. u can look at online/ebay. if u need a part and wanna run quick or want 2 have somethin ready if case somethin happens. go 2 ur LHS...same goes 4 fluids, like oils/lubes/fuel etc, rather look at em in person b4 buy.

-Ult

If you don't like your LHS, don't give them your business. Go to the place you like. If that happens to be the internet then so be it. just my :2cents:

wigsplittah, where in norcal are you?

Castro Valley (east bay) - between Hayward, Oakland and Dublin

If you ever get to the Santa Rosa area, there is a nice LHS in Rohnert Park called Jakes Performance Hobbies. Friendly people, decent prices and tons of parts. There is also a Hobbytown in Petaluma but it is not as big as the one in Concord.

I too, do most of my R/C shopping online.. You will definately find more reasonable prices, for obvious reasons that you have mentioned already, such as overhead costs. Paying a slightly higher price for an item, as opposed to price guaging seems to be the issue with most of the LHS's lately.. I too have a very high priced Hobby shop nearby. The owner tends to bash any products that his store doesn't carry, which really gets me aggravated.. BUT.... In a pinch, when you need a part to get back in the game, it is very convenient to have an LHS nearby. Fuel especially, is an item, that unless you want to pay more for or by in bulk, has to be purchased at your LHS. I say look around, talk to others in your area, & see who they recommend... My :2cents:

Before, i'd only buy the actual car or radio online. I'd buy any parts or miscellaneous items at the hobby shop. After getting my RS4 2, i've more or less given up on my hobby shop for parts. So I plan on doing all of my shopping online at least for my RS4 2.

There's only one hobby shop that's close by to me. Their prices aren't bad for normal stuff. I do like them a lot but they did turn me off a little when I called about a chassis I needed and he more or less blew me off because he hadn't heard of the brand. They're good ppl overall, it just dissapoints me sometimes.

I guess I am one of the luckier ones. I do almost ALL of my shopping through my LHS. Only time I bought elsewhere was for my AMB personal transponder because the LHS couldn't get them and doesn't have enough customers needing one to do a bulk order.

My LHS and I have built such a good relationship, they cut both me and my brother great prices.

Unfortunatly, a hobby shop can't re-sell special things easily. In most cases they have to by a few thousand $ worth in order to re-sell it.

I have one hobby shop that is worth going to, one that completely sux (the guy accused me of being stoned once! I don't go there anymore...) and another that's not to bad but they are always overwhelmed and aren't real helpfull. All of which are about an hours drive away.

I do most of my shopping at tower, mostly because their prices are generally ok and I get my stuff in 3-4 days.

Like others said, if it sux, don't go there anymore except for necessities.

I have one good LHS near me. They sell to me at Tower's prices minus a 10% discount! I make sure I buy all my large items there like kits, radios, etc. As for aprts, I go 50% LHS and 50% online depending if my LHS can order the parts, or if I feel like driving over there, or if the online deals are just too good.

There is also a hobbytown near me but the guys who run it are a-holes and their prices run higher than my other LHS. I refuse to step in the door now.

I"m curious, in your guys' state, do you have a state sales tax? Here, washington state does that poop, and it adds up quick on high end purchases.

I hear that, California has 8.25% sales tax. times 0.08.25 to your total, it can hurt the pocket =). California is too expensive. I've been in the bay area my whole life and I'm pondering the thought of relocating. Maybe somewhere it snows and you won't live in poverty making 40k. :p

We have about an 8% sales tax in Erie County, New York State, which is close to going up a penny. Taxes suck here, which is one reason I'll buy some things online. No taxes!

I don't worry about the tax at my LHS. I get things at such a good price anyway. Cheaper than tower or horizon no matter what. If I need something that they don't have, I get it in 2 days, a week the most if it's on back order.

my LHS has a thing where after you spend 400$ there you get money pack.. it is not much but nice to have on credit so when you are broke you can go up there and buy stuff.

robmob said:
If you ever get to the Santa Rosa area, there is a nice LHS in Rohnert Park called Jakes Performance Hobbies. Friendly people, decent prices and tons of parts. There is also a Hobbytown in Petaluma but it is not as big as the one in Concord.

I second that. I drive 3hrs to go there, or I buy online. I do both. It's all about whatever works for you imo.

I guess i'm lucky cause I have a LHS only about a mile away(5 mins.).

My lhs for parts is Tower hobbies, and for kits is ultimatehobbies. I'm in the middle of nowhere so the net is my friend!

I'm lucky to have one so close that I don't even shop the prices anymore...they are just lower than tower....and just from being in there and pestering them so much I get even better prices....AND they will go that extra mile when I need help w/ my stuff....I agree you can get great prices on line but when you buy something once and then you go to your LHS and ask for help and they say why should I support you when you aren't supporting me...Don't whine about what assholes they are......if a shopis just full of holier than thou assholes...definately get the hell out of there, cause if anyone feels the need to belittle you for lack of knowledge and experience thay are definately no getting my business.......