Suggestions for 1st crawler

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bolillo57

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello all,
Been running a nitro Revo for a while now but getting tired of the constant tuning and tweaking to keep running right. Was at the shop the other day and really liking the crawlers they had.
The ones that have really liked so far are the Venom Creeper, RC4WD Diablo & Copperhead and the AX10 Scorpion.
Budget I figure about $100/$200 in addition to car for mods and changes.
Not looking to get into competitions right now just beating around the yard and rock pile with my bro-in-law when he returns from playing in the sand box of Afghanistan.
I'll be getting 2 of them (he runs a HPI/Savage and also tired of tuning & crap) so I will have to build and paint his then send it to him as he has no patience for that part of it.
Againg thanks for any suggestions

Well if your not getting into comps and just want a back yard basher, Id suggest getting a losi. They need the least amount of hop ups out of the cheaper rigs. If not, then out of the list you have, go with the AX10.

I would suggest getting the XTM X Crawler, but I have no knowledge with rock crawlers. All I know is these x crawlers are top of the line rock crawlers, but the downside is that these are $250 alone plus you have to buy 2 servos, 2 motors, 1 or 2 ESCs, batteries, and a charger. And the bodies for these things come clear, but it seems most rock crawlers I see online are kits unless you want to get the mini crawlers. an ESC is $94 and each brushed motor is $24 brushless is $100, servos are $25 each. Batteries and chargers vary in price.

heres the link to the x crawler if your interested.
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/145632.asp

I would stay away from the XTM. No offense to anyone that thinks other wise but the XTM's are NOT top of the line, they are very cheaply made, dont crawl well, doesn't have crap for after market support either. The XTM is so badly constructed that even though its a "Super" class rig out of the box, only like 5% of the super class guys are running them, everyone else in the super class run custom setups, most nowdays on super bully's or bergs. Its a super wich is alot bigger than a 1/10 2.2. There is very little after market support for them and they need alot of work to keep them going strong. Thats why they flopped after they were released, like all the red cat crawlers too. Stick with the leaders of the sport, axial or losi or go with a custom setup on some Berg or Bully axles.

As far as aftermarket parts support for XTM, I personally have seen little to no support in my own wanderings on the web.

I would agree with him on either the Losi or the Axial. I have both an Axial SCX-10 and a Losi Mini Rock Crawler. Both are good rigs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well to the thread starter, get what you want but for your price range the Losi or one of the AX10's would be top on the list, then the Venom, then the RC4wd's you listed, in that order. There are thousands of hop up's for the axial and you will not be replacing internals every time you take it out plus the upgraded internal parts (axles, trans, ect.) are cheap and are actual heavy duty upgrades.

Well to the thread starter, get what you want but for your price range the Losi or one of the AX10's would be top on the list, then the Venom, then the RC4wd's you listed, in that order. There are thousands of hop up's for the axial and you will not be replacing internals every time you take it out plus the upgraded internal parts (axles, trans, ect.) are cheap and are actual heavy duty upgrades.

Thanks slowngreen and others for your suggestions.
I have been reading and checking things out and it looks like the AX10 is what I'll be going with. As you said lots of hop-up support is there so that is good. I said I was not competeing with it right away as I really am new to crawlers and would like to get in some time to learn as much as possible before I get into competing.
I also have been checking out the pics & build-ups posted on the site and I have to say there is some wild dtuff on here. Someday I hope to have a nice custom build that I can post too.
Again thanks for the suggestions and I'm sure I'll be on here with questions once I get it and start my build (x2 as I have to do my bro-in-laws also)

I have been crawling at a comp level for almost 2 years now usually 2-4 times a month and have never seen any one with a XTM, I you just want to bash around now but think you light want to compete later you might think about holding off for just a little while longer because the NEW Axial XR10 will be getting released soon, other wise the Axial AX10 or the Losi 2.2 crawlers would be a great choice with lots of both online and local hobby shop support.

And to Speed he also said he wanted to get out of Nitro and get into crawling, last time I checked this is the ROCK CRAWLER THREAD.

LMAO those guys are not even racing on a dirt off road track OMG and would not even get over the first rock they came to in the rock pile that he wants to play on in his backyard...

Wow

:whhooo: Speedingbullet, I appreciate your passion for your brand of choice, but I don't care for the XTM. I mean I drive a 4dr Wrangler and ride a Harley Sportster and I don't care if people disagree with my choices. To get this hot over someone saying they don't agree with you is not neccesary. I will be getting 2 of them as i said originally. At first they will be bashers & eventually I hope to get into competing.
Again thanks for your opinion but I am looking into brands that my local shop carries with aftermarket support as well.

Update**
After looking around and what is available I decided on getting a pair of Gmade R1's. :D
Plan will be to play around a bit then get into the comps at the local shop. Thanks again for all the suggestions and ideas and I'm sure I'll be back on with lots of dumb ?????

Update**
After looking around and what is available I decided on getting a pair of Gmade R1's. :D
Plan will be to play around a bit then get into the comps at the local shop. Thanks again for all the suggestions and ideas and I'm sure I'll be back on with lots of dumb ?????

Better than a XTM but if you havent ordered them yet, Id suggest against them, try to get the losi comp crawler, night crawlers or an axial.

As a very avid scaler/crawler, (its all i do anymore) I would have to agree with the majority on this one. Axial or losi. Have you ever thought about scaling? It is the best of both worlds, playing and crawling. There is so much more that you can do with them. Check out the Axial SCX10.

I too would have to say stay with Axial or Losi, there is way more support for them and IMO you will be much happier in the long run.

Scalers have more customizing things you can do but if you want performance when it comes to crawling, a comper will always win.

Well yea. I'm just throwing out another option. I love crawling, but i havent had more fun with RC than scaling in a LONG time.

Back