Stuck Transmission screws. What do I do?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rizzle67

RCTalk Qualifier
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Flying
I need this tranny for my running car. So far I need to rebuild 2 rear diffs. I am very close to getting a hack saw blade. Help change my mind on proper tools and use. Please. Thanks.
BTW. The heads are CS allen head. My allen wrench is not rounded as I have checked with other screws.

I need this tranny for my running car. So far I need to rebuild 2 rear diffs. I am very close to getting a hack saw blade. Help change my mind on proper tools and use. Please. Thanks.
BTW. The heads are CS allen head. My allen wrench is not rounded as I have checked with other screws.

What car is it ,an is the screws easy to get to?
Some of us usually use a dremel with cut off wheel an cut a slot in the head
of the screw an use a flat head screw driver to get it out providing there is enough room
in the area to get the dremel tool in!
Some times you can find the right size Torx bit to fit tight in the allen style screws ,i had
done that before too!

The car is a RC10GT. So I wont be able to get under the head because of the counter sink. I have been searching the shop for a screw extractor.

The car is a RC10GT. So I wont be able to get under the head because of the counter sink. I have been searching the shop for a screw extractor.

I know they are counter sunk ,did not say to cut the head ,I said to cut a slot in the top of the head!

Some of us usually use a dremel with cut off wheel an cut a slot in the head
of the screw an use a flat head screw driver to get it out providing there is enough room
in the area to get the dremel tool in!

Yep, that's what I usually end up doing:
2018-0528-DremelScrewSlot.jpg

Just stinks with flat head/countersunk screws as you tend to damage the part they are in a little bit. You can try using an easy out/screw extractor. I've yet to buy one of those, but I've read many have used them on these tiny screws and they do work.
https://www.amazon.com/Alden-8440P-Grabit-Damaged-Extractor/dp/B001A4CWHO

In cases like this, a Dremel tool is your best friend..

@Tunedpipe. Yes that is true. Matter of minutes and now I am installing the trans into my runner. Of coarse after I opened it up amd lubed everything. Curious what lu e does everyone use? Would car gear lube be to thick or not good for plastic and medal gears?

@Tunedpipe. Yes that is true. Matter of minutes and now I am installing the trans into my runner. Of coarse after I opened it up amd lubed everything. Curious what lu e does everyone use? Would car gear lube be to thick or not good for plastic and medal gears?
for the ball diff gears, make sure to use ball diff grease.
id recommend to use AE Stealth Lube, it is what AE engineered for these transmissions or schumacher made some good ball diff grease as well.
ball diffs need a certain type of grease to actuate the differential correctly and prolong the diff life.
for the thrust bearing in the drive cup id recommend AE or TLR black grease, but mainly just need a high pressure type grease.

a left hand drill bit. heat with solder iron or heated copper or aluminum bar.screw extractors dont really work for rc screws to small..a drop of zmax can always work if you have fusion going on cuz its a micro lube..I've even used a pin point nail setter clamp trans in vise and tapped the screw out .takes time used very lite taps on punch with small jewelers hammer

@tntpoof. So I did the cut a slot into it method. Luckily it is my worst looking chassis so a couple extra nicks wont phase the looks.
@D3MON. I didnt open the diffs up cause I dont have whats needed. I wanted to lube the idler gear and main drive and differential gears. I had a small amount of the black stuff on hand so i used that.

@tntpoof. So I did the cut a slot into it method. Luckily it is my worst looking chassis so a couple extra nicks wont phase the looks.
@D3MON. I didnt open the diffs up cause I dont have whats needed. I wanted to lube the idler gear and main drive and differential gears. I had a small amount of the black stuff on hand so i used that.
ahh, guess I've always been told to leave those dry, and the manual doesn't say to put anything in there.
i believe because of the type of plastic they are self lubricating.

@D3MON. So I will leave what I did alone. I am tracking down some diff. rebuild kits for the 3 gearboxes I have. Since we are in the same area. Can a different clutch pad be used? Part number Asc 9603 versus ASC9253?

as of now have not come up with a different slipper pad for mine, i do not believe the 9603 would work without modification because where the recess is for the slipper pad on the slipper hub. might be able to cut/trim to the same shape and modify it to work though. if you do try this definitely let us know.
i would try for the stock replacement but if can't find it might try above or something similar.

I am Frankenstein my RC10. Not that is the way I want go but I am one fywheel away from converting it to a Traxxas running gear to save on down time in finding parts in stock.

i have heard many accounts using a traxxas flywheel and clutch system works great in the rc10gts, and adds the ability to use a spring on the pads.
do be aware though, if you are using and AE .15 SG crankshaft from an RC10gt it will not work to do it.
the AE .15 SG crankshaft is SAE and equates to about 4.7mm instead of 5mm.
Traxxas uses a metric crankshaft at 5mm so the clutchbell bearings from the traxxas wont fit the crankshaft of the AE engine.

the AE .15 engine from the RC10GT2 and Nitro TC3 are 5mm crankshaft engines and will work with traxxas components with no issues.

if you are using a pilot shaft engine disregard the above but you will need a clutch nut/pilot shaft from a different vehicle.

I feel like i need to write this in a flow chart to truly understand.
Motor I have now is a Mach .15
I am in need of a rebuild on my AE .15
I was meaning I would use a Traxxas motor. Flywheel and clutch with a spur gear as well. I feel if parts for the Jato are still available I could use a TRX 15

Back