stripping out axle hexs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kencharly

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I have a 427 big block t maxx and it keeps shearing the rear hexs if i put steel or alum. will it strip out the wheels? Been using stock plastic ones.

The wheels should take it better than the plastic hex's Id think, make sure they are always tight though but Id save for some better wheels though.

I'm assuming you're still using the 14mm? You really should move up to some 17mm or 23mm wheels. Moving to metal hexes will help for a while,as mentioned above,they need to be on tight.

The wheels should take it better than the plastic hex's Id think, make sure they are always tight though but Id save for some better wheels though.

using beadlock wheels already 40 bucks a pair

Beadlocks are heavy and that may be one cause of your problem. And as asked before, whit size tires are you using?

I'd say go with some stock size tires, steel hexes and back off the slipper. Too tight of a slipper adjustment will just send the shock into the diffs with the steel hexes. Slipper adjustment is critical, even with a beefy drive train.

take the hex and jb-weld it to the wheel. then take two pins used for the axle to hex and drill a hole for it parallel to the axle through the hex and the wheel, then the pin goes through the hex and the wheel. this might work.

Last edited:
I have not looked at the size but they are about a 1/2 inch taller than the stock ones, but i think the jb weld and a pin trick might work, slipper is set farly lite the guy built it for jumping. Thanks guys

I would say that changing to the steel ones should fix the problem. 17mm hexes aren't a bad Idea if you have a set of wheels to fit them.

Back