Out of my element - not sure where to find right parts

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmcnal

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Afternoon, a friend gifted me, an old RC car 1/10 scale buggy 2nd. Needs a new motor, rear tires, front tires. Figured I’d get new wheels as well, but I’m having a hard time finding replacements. It appears the buggy’s front axles that hold the wheel in place aren’t a common format. It’s not hex. It’s not bearing. It’s not pin. It’s nothing I can find replacements for. The current wheel has two metal rings in it, not bearings, connect the axle to the wheel. The axle it self doesn’t spin, it’s set in the plastic. Can’t find anything like it. The back is a pin axle, and I know I can upgrade that to a 12 mm hex easily. Please see the pictures below. Any advice super helpful.

It’s and older buggy. I’m just trying to get it up and running for my son to see if he likes it.

The diameter of the front axle is 4.75mm.

Thanks,

IMG_5143.jpeg

IMG_5142.jpeg

Those are brass bushings. You just need a bearing that fits. Being your getting new wheels, I would get the bearing to fit the new ones.

Traxxas 2wd nitros are like that. I converted mine to a stampede hex hub.

Thanks. You say they are 1.9. The print on the side of the tire says 2.15 x 1.05. Are the current tires not 2.15 wide?

Many thanks.

I'm not 100% certain if there was a batch of 2.15" wheels that circulated but industry standard was 1.9" when Tamiya and AE released their platforms in the 80's

Not sure when 2.0" wheels became standard but I have never heard of 2.15" wheels and I suspect that may be a nominal fitting for the rubber to be clamped inside the bead of presumably a 1.9" wheel.

Either case, I'd be willing to bet the JConcepts wheels I linked will be compatible for your existing axles.

*** UPDATE ***

I did find some 2.15" wheels here which are marked for the B2/B3 series:
https://www.valkyriercmotorsports.com/store/c106/Associated_B2_&_B3_Series_Tires_&_Wheels.html

I had the B1 in the 80's and didn't get back into the hobby until 2010 so I totally missed that gap... in your case, beggars can't be choosers, ha!

Back