Stock Slash 4x4 runs HOT

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jburke187

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well this is my first electric rc truck and I know absolutely nothing about them, I bought a slash 4x4 and I am running it completely stock with the stock 7cell 3300mah battery that came with the truck, and when I am done running the battery and motor are very hot, around 180-190 range, I am running it on pavement and a dirt parking lot, no grass. I tried cutting a couple of holes in the body for air flow and it didn't make a difference. Any suggestions?

:whhooo:dude you are going to kill the motor!! i keep mine under 150!!!!!!!!!! Its most likely your gearing. I run a 11t pinion!! The lower the gearing the cool it is and vice versa. if you can stay away from long grass as much as possible and check the motor ever 10-15 mins. I'm glad you let us know and not just run it til it died!! Also you can get a heat sink for the motor as well. Ohh that reminds me check the esc temps as well. I keep my esc und 120 to be safe!

Hope i could help!!!
-Nick
(P.S, if you get a lipo be much more careful with temps and the temp will climb faster!)

Hear's my Thought's on this subject
If the Rig is Stock Gearing should not be an issue for Overheating. Jburke you metion AFTER YOUR DONE RUNNING you experence your overheating issues.. Are you running your Slash non-stop until battery is dead... If so you should be taking mini-breaks wile running your RIG alot of Full Throttle / Burn Out's / alot of Hi Speed runs / will heat a motor up QUICK...

Your ESC Should have a setting on it that would prevent motor from overheating & shutdown power to the motor " SO you don't burn-up your motor " I would check your manual under ESC setting's "

Heat sink's arent needed in a Stock setup 85% of the time but It wont hurt to install 1 IMO Heat sinks are added when a upgrade to a different Brushless motor is added IE more KV's or a powerful battery added gearing changes stuff like that warrent a heat sink..

Wile running your Rig after say like 10 min's of constant running Allow Rig to SIT for 5 - 6 min for cooling them resume Bashing.. That little break inbetween a run will keep your Rig running in the Norm.. Try that that should help you out ALOT

Thanks guys I will run it today again and see if the breaks in between help, I ordered an 11t pinion to help with some heat, I bought an esc fan and heat sink so that should help too. I know the heat is not ideal, but I just mess around with it no jumps a couple speed runs and a few bursts of speed but other than that just putt around. I just don't understand how it gets that hot. It only takes about 10 min to get that hot and I haven't run the battery completely dead. I only run it for maybe 30 min tops.

Buy a cooling fan and a wave for the motor

The esc will not shut down the motor if over heated. That is your job to keep track of the motor's temp. The esc on the other hand has a built in thermal cut off that will shut it off if the temps rise too high.

---------- Post added at 6:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:39 PM ----------

whats a wave?

I think he is referring to a heat sink.

Well I took my slash today to try a new "driving style" and after about 5 min in CRUNCH into a brick border of a flower garden by our mail box, not my finest hour I will admit, broke the right front and right rear a-arms and destroyed the shocks, so after a trip to the LHS I came back with traxxas bigbore aluminum shocks, have to wait to get the a-arms they didn't have any in stock, well not RPM ones. But on the plus side it was running nice and cool.....

Hear's my Thought's on this subject
If the Rig is Stock Gearing should not be an issue for Overheating. Jburke you metion AFTER YOUR DONE RUNNING you experence your overheating issues.. Are you running your Slash non-stop until battery is dead... If so you should be taking mini-breaks wile running your RIG alot of Full Throttle / Burn Out's / alot of Hi Speed runs / will heat a motor up QUICK...

Your ESC Should have a setting on it that would prevent motor from overheating & shutdown power to the motor " SO you don't burn-up your motor " I would check your manual under ESC setting's "

Heat sink's arent needed in a Stock setup 85% of the time but It wont hurt to install 1 IMO Heat sinks are added when a upgrade to a different Brushless motor is added IE more KV's or a powerful battery added gearing changes stuff like that warrent a heat sink..

Wile running your Rig after say like 10 min's of constant running Allow Rig to SIT for 5 - 6 min for cooling them resume Bashing.. That little break inbetween a run will keep your Rig running in the Norm.. Try that that should help you out ALOT

I have never taken "mini breaks" when i run my slash, i have always been able to kill a 6300 mah 2s pack with no breaks and i havent had any heating problems.

Make sure the gear mesh isn't a little to tight. Should be a tick of play all the way around. Spur gears aren't always perfectly round and this needs to be compinsated for in your mesh adjustment. You should not have to take mini breaks. Usually a 1-2 tooth drop on the pinion will keep things cool all day. Traxxas does seem to over gear their rigs a bit.

Back