step up regulator???

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stroytika

RCTalk Champion
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hi I'm looking for help finding a product for my radio system. i have a 6v receiver and a HV servo. I want to find a step up regulator (or anything that can do this really, preferably variable)that i can put after my Receiver, and before my servo that can take 5 cell nimh in and output at 7.2 to 8.4 volts up to lets say roughly 3 amps. if anyone knows where i can find one or how i can make one please let me know. thanks in advance
:first_place:

Why not just buy a 7 cell NiCD pack? 7 cells will give you the volatage you want and NiCDs should be able to handle a 3A draw. Use a BEC to the RX. IDK, only thing I can think of. Or you could use 2 battery packs....the normal 5 cell NiMH pack for the reciever and use the 7cell pack to power the servo. You would have to run the signal wire from the servo to the RX but that would work. Just a couple of thoughts.

Last edited:
It would be better to go with a NiMH rather than NiCad packs. NiCads have problem with developing a "memory," which is why they have been phased out for the most part.

NiCD memory isn't a problem as long as you use a charger that can cycle them down before recharging them. Also unless you buy the really expensive High Discharge rate NiMH batteries they wont handle a 3amp drain very well. NiCDs have a much high discharge capacity which is why they haven't been phased out. NiCD still has it place just its just not as prominent as it once was.

whoa how do i power the servo seperately then the reciever? thats exactly what i need to do for one HV servo. i have a high voltage steering servo, but i dont want to send 2s through my rx. has anyone got a guide on this?

edit: oops accidentally posted from my dads pc. I'm actually the OP

You would run the positive and negative to the server and then take the signal pin out of connector for the servo and solder an extension wire from the servo to the RX. run the positive and negatives from the 6V pack and run it to the RX like normal.

Could maybe use one of these to your servo from the receiver with the 2S pack plugged into the receiver:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&P=9&I=LXWNS2

Would need to deal with the signal wire though to the receiver as well. Kind of surprised something doesn't exist for this already... I guess people that run HV servos run all HV servos and not just one with and one without.

Kind of like this... but it's a 5.1V (vs 6V) step down:
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product...Align-51V-Two-Way-Step-Down-Voltage-Regulator

Appears that it can go between the receiver and 6V servo to drop the output to 5.1.

Last edited: