Steering problem on nitro monster truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys for the advice. I'll pull it apart this weekend and take a look.

Funny thing is, my first problem was because of the d/r on the steering, now this is because of not having d/r on the throttle. Would be nice if I could dial it down a bit for the kids to drive while they get used to it.

In some buggy's & truggy's ,they or manufacture are starting to install what you call chassy braces!
It doesn't take too much impact to buckle a chassy!

Heres my street car that met the same fate with a curb do to loss signal!

upload_2017-1-9_10-45-42.png

upload_2017-1-9_10-46-12.png

rc_010.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2017-1-9_10-47-53.png
    upload_2017-1-9_10-47-53.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 205
I am always adjusting my tune to meet the temps, humidity etc of the day. There are a lot of times when I'll find I'm in tune to start the day, many I'm not... Just keep an eye out for what your rig is telling you. It gets WAY easier to do with time!

Finally had time to pull the front end apart today. Good news is it looks to me like the only damage is the dogbone. I straightened it out with a hammer, but it still has a kink in it, so will wait until the replacement arrives before I take it out again. I've read that these parts get bent on HSP a lot unfortunately. The chassis still looks nice and straight which is a relief.

I am always adjusting my tune to meet the temps, humidity etc of the day. There are a lot of times when I'll find I'm in tune to start the day, many I'm not... Just keep an eye out for what your rig is telling you. It gets WAY easier to do with time!
I think the LSN must have been too rich because I had to pinch the fuel line to stop it once I realised the dogbone was bent up, and it took quite a few seconds to cut out and it didn't rev up then cut out like it usually would.

Question: can you run it as 2WD without the front dogbone driving the front wheels, or would that damage the transmission?

Finally had time to pull the front end apart today. Good news is it looks to me like the only damage is the dogbone. I straightened it out with a hammer, but it still has a kink in it, so will wait until the replacement arrives before I take it out again. I've read that these parts get bent on HSP a lot unfortunately. The chassis still looks nice and straight which is a relief.

I think the LSN must have been too rich because I had to pinch the fuel line to stop it once I realised the dogbone was bent up, and it took quite a few seconds to cut out and it didn't rev up then cut out like it usually would.

Question: can you run it as 2WD without the front dogbone driving the front wheels, or would that damage the transmission?

Yes you can run it with out the front drive shaft ,it will eliminate the front braking an when you
do brake ,the truck will spin around real easy!

Yes you can run it with out the front drive shaft ,it will eliminate the front braking an when you
Also, the drag of the front diff will make it kind of sketchy.

I used to run a t-maxx in 2wd, but I removed the front axles and diff as well, then it was like driving a big ass stadium truck.

Also, the drag of the front diff will make it kind of sketchy.

I used to run a t-maxx in 2wd, but I removed the front axles and diff as well, then it was like driving a big ass stadium truck.

Thanks guys, now I can take it out again this weekend instead of waiting for the part! :woohoo:

What truck do you have specifically. HSP Monster Truck doesn't really nail down what you have. Do you have a link or at least the specific name for it?

I ask because if it has a center diff, you can't run it without the front drive hooked up properly.

I think this is the manual page for the 2-speed, so it's a solid shaft (no center diff, just diffs on the front/rear) and you should be good running it in 2wd.
http://www.myrc.com.au/images/rc manuals/hsp/94860-861-862-863-866-867 user manual/13-14.jpg

The rest of the pages for that model number:
http://www.myrc.com.au/product_info.php?products_id=801
Thanks @olds97_lss
Please forgive my confusion here, in box 9 on that page it says it has a centre diff assembly.
upload_2017-1-14_8-47-59.png

Is that actually the transmission though rather than the diff? There is also the front/rear diff in box 6, which looks more like what I think is a diff?
upload_2017-1-14_8-48-23.png

Yeah, if you notice in box 8's lower right corner, it says it's for everything but the monster truck.
13-14.jpg

The MT has the 2 speed trans instead of a diff in the center (box 13). Which is a very straight forward 2 speed mechanism with a slipper.

It's really compact... kind of wish I had come across this when I had my OFNA buggy... could have maybe put this on it instead of a center diff with a little drilling and grinding. For bashing, a buggy just doesn't have the low end or high speed I wanted, had to sacrifice a little of both for a happy middle ground that didn't burn up clutch shoes. Or, spend over $100 on the 2-speed OFNA had available that didn't have a slipper...

Oh well, it's sold now.

If you could upload a clear photo of your trucks chassis, that would definitely help make sure. I'm guessing when you ran it you heard/felt it shift though?

The center diff your series of truck may come with won't shift. I say that because some MT's have the ability or come with a 2-speed AND center diff, like my revo. I can put one in it and still have 2-speed shifting, but I don't. I like the wheelies and a center diff kind of tames those down or kills them altogether. :)

Actually, I take that back about putting that in a buggy. Just noticed that this is 1/10th scale. Not sure that would hold up with a big block pushing it.

However... wouldn't be awful to try and put it in a HPI Nitro MT2. I've wanted a small 4wd truck like that for a long time, but those available have the same issue as a buggy, they are single speed.

Last edited:
Check endpoints on the remote if you're getting limited movement.

Back