Steel spur gear?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitbull14218

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So when I used to have a Savage I had plastic spur gears and was told metal spur fears would blow up the transmission?

My new to me Savage X has a steel spur gear and a 3 spd tranny with reverse. Should I swap it out for a plastic or is my 3 spd strong enough and I should be good?

So when I used to have a Savage I had plastic spur gears and was told metal spur fears would blow up the transmission?

My new to me Savage X has a steel spur gear and a 3 spd tranny with reverse. Should I swap it out for a plastic or is my 3 spd strong enough and I should be good?
I'm not sure ,but I've never heard of a steel gear popping a trans.
But if it gets jammed ,there will be no give ,also if the mesh gets loose ,it could
strip or damage the clutch bell or your steel gear!

What blows up trannies are the heavy wheels and tires on the vehicles, when a owner swaps to the LRP motors it not the motor that strips the gears but the heavy wheels. I weighed the Revo's 3.3 wheels & tires and they weighed just under 3lbs (2lb 15ozs). That some weight as far as rotational mass.
I plan on swapping motors but also trying to find some 6" tires that are 1/2 as narrow as the factory wheels and tires. I purchased the plain Traxxas wheels and some proline tires and total the weight is down too only 2lbs 1oz so that will help.
The wheels & tires in my avatar are 4.7" and weigh 13.3ozs total (all 4) so with a motor swap I do not expect any trans problems or stripped gears but I'll find out for sure when I decide to swap it out.
The problem with smaller wheels is you loose your high mph which I am more interested in then pulling wheelies and such. Most that swap motors want to pull wheelies in their Revo but I'm intrigue with highest MPH. The fastest Nitro Revo I know of is 72 mph.

Metal spurs are fine. Remember to set your gear mesh correct.

As long as your slipper slips a bit, your gear mesh is set right and you have a hardened CB, steel spurs are fine. I had to go with a steel spur in my savage because I kept melting the center out if I tried gearing taller than 49/15. With an LRP28 (now LRP30), 49/15 is just slow. I now run 47/17 and the engines pull it just fine. Wheelies whenever I blip the throttle.

Back