starter box troubles

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Got Nitro?

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Recentlly I just bought a starter box for my xxx-nt,the person i bought it from told me that it worked perfect with the engine in my truck,so after some dealing with him i bought the box wich is a ofna true start black box with battery,when i got the box i tried getting it to work but it's being weird,When i try to charge the battery it get's to about the 2 amp marker on my charger then quit's,also the battery has a buldge in the middle of it,is this normal,the battery somewhat work's but it's really spontaneous about working,With it being on the charger for over a hour,it barelly has enough juice to turn over my CV.12 . Any thought's suggestions or beatings are more than welcome.

sounds to me like the battery might have been overcharged at one time and cooked a cell.. Not an expert though

When i bought the battery with the charger,the guy told me it worked great and everything was there,and he also failed to menchion the hump in the battery,this is my first starter box and I'm half tempted to swich to a p/s if it's gonna cost a fortune.

Yeah i forgot to post that,it's a hobbico 12v gel cell.

sounds like a cell is dead thats all for $22 buy a new battery pull starts suck and will be more of a hassle in the end JMO Good luck with it

Mark

Got Nitro? said:
.... when i got the box i tried getting it to work but it's being weird, ... the battery has a buldge in the middle of it .....

Recycle that battery NOW. By even attempting to charge it you are putting yourself at risk, they can explode.

A few tips: gel cells (also called SLA, Sealed Lead Acid) are not meant to be charged at more than 1700 mah, so if you use a car battery charger be SURE it can charge at that rate or lower on slow charge. Most car chargers have a 2 amp (2000 mah) rate on slow charge and this is still too hot. The best charging solution is a float charger, availalble from any battery shop or RV supply. This allows you to leave it on charge whenever it's not in use without danger of overcharging. Battery shops are also the place to get the best price on an SLA, too.

When starting, the biggest mistake is to lean into the start - these are called bump-starters for a reason. You want to press down on the box a little without contacting the flywheel to allow the motors to spin up, then in a series of bumps push down to contact the flywheel. Don't hold it in, especially if it stalls the S.B. motor, this will burn up the motor(s) and you will say "this box sucks" when it's not really the box, it's you. :D

Last use the pins on the box to make sure the chassis lines up so **ONLY** the flywheel touches the S.B. wheel, if it hits the chassis at all this will also stall the motor(s).

Bill i owe you on that info,ill take the battery out and get rid of it when i get home tonight,my car charger run's at 2 amp's,I've never used a starter box before so right now i feel like a complete noob,thanks for the info guys.