Spur gear and bell gear

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xengxue

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Ok so I have a nitro sport with a 3.3...I know a small spur gear and bigger bell gear equals speed...and vise versa is torque. So my question is if I put a smaller spur gear and a bigger bell gear what will my results be will it stay the same or would I get the best of both worlds.

Any time you lower your gear ratio...IE gear for top speed, you will sacrifice torque on the low end. Also the lower you make your gear ratio the harder the engine (or motor) has to work so the hotter they will get. The trick is just experimenting and find a combo that gives you the top speed you want with a torque level you can live with (or visa versa) and that doesn't overheat the engine/motor. Most people call the bell gear a clutchbell btw.

ok. still kinda new to the hobby but I'm still learning. but yea i was looking at top speed but have a nitro sport and just being a weekend basher. top speed is not what I'm really looking for. so i just want the best of both worlds. what would you recommend. i just have the stock spur bear and clutch bell.

I can't say exactly. I had a nitro Rustler (which is basically the same thing as the nitro sport only a few more aluminum pieces on it) and I thought it was plenty fast enough with the stock gearing. Id satrt with smaller spurs. Get the smallest one you can get and see if that gives you enough...you can adjust from there.

Alright sounds good I'll do that

Back