So I got a Nitro Plane as well :)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandalfnz

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
Hello

I am on fire this month, with new nitro cars, a helicopter and now a plane as well.

Please have a look at the photos and let me know what you think.
Same as Helicopters, I know nothing about these yet.

What is the best way to repair balsa wood cracks and small broken pieces?
Also what is this balsa wood wrapping called? I see some of it starting to peel off?
Do you think I should keep this or just cut my losses and sell it?
I got some Nitro RC car fuel, can I use that to run the plane?
Engine is new I have been told, and just broken in.

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_7377.JPG
    IMG_7377.JPG
    345.6 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_7378.JPG
    IMG_7378.JPG
    258.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_7379.JPG
    IMG_7379.JPG
    192.6 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_7380.JPG
    IMG_7380.JPG
    184.6 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7381.JPG
    IMG_7381.JPG
    203.8 KB · Views: 69
I can't figure out the model of the engine apart from the brand, which is ASP.
I can't also find the factory needle settings for these engines?
Do the have an LSN, or its just single needle?

Dude, that looks just like a plane my dad had when I was 10. Different wrap, but the plane looks very similar.

The film is monokote. You stretch it over the part and use a heat gun to form it to the shape. It was a lot of fun watching my dad wrap his plane with it.

And for gluing any wood, you can't beat regular old carpenters glue. Unless some of these RC aeroplane gurus have a better suggestion.

@GBLynden @Doom!

My experience is limited to electrics, with foam airframes. Can't be of much help here. But @WickedFog was right about the monokote and wood glue.

Looks to be in good condition. As long as there aren't any cracked ribs in the wing or cracked bulkheads in the fuselage you should be fine. The covering looks like it just needs a good ironing. If you need more the brands you look for are usually like Monokote or Oracover. You can use CA glue on the balsa. The covering has heat activated adhesive on one side. That's why you can use an iron to stick it back in place. It also shrinks with heat so you can get it nice and tight over wing and tail structures.
The biggest thing I'd say is first make sure there are no structural issues. Clean up the covering as you feel necessary. Obsess over the control surfaces and radio gear. Make sure that's all set properly. You should be able to find engine settings online. Your nitro should work fine. I haven't flown nitro planes so I'm not sure if there's a different oil and nitro formulation for planes but if you look up your engine there should be recommendations for what fuel mix will work best.

Thanks Guys

There are no cracks or broken bits in fuselage or anywhere else at all.
Found a few holes in the Monokote, very small so I just patched it with selotape.
Do you think that the old Monokote can be ironed out, I guess there is only one way to find out? I tried heating it up with a hair dryer but that did not work.
Elevators, ailerons and rudder work great. The only problem I found is that carb venturi is not opening all the way when full throttle is applied, and trimming it on a remote also didnt work. I am not sure why that is.
Also rear wheel is buggered and is under an angle, it will need some fixing with brackets, as balsa is also staring to crack and bend where the wheel is bolted. I am worried about which brackets to use to secure it better, as not to add any weight to the tail?

If there is anyone with some nitro planes experience, I would like to know if when on a remote throttle is half way, carb should open half way too?
Is the plane take off suppose to be from half and upwards?
Hope that questions makes sense.

Also, when the throttle stick is fully down, should the car be fully closed (engine shut off), or a small gap (engine idling) ?

Thanks

Last edited:
When I built my airplane ,I used two different types of glue ,a CA glue an a slow cure 2 part epoxy!
That engine is a single needle an the setting is set while at high throttle to where it gets to its
Max rpm until it starts to drop off ,then you can slightly richen it about a 1/4 turn back from that
to be safe ,fuel is usually 5 to 10% nitro!..😎

When I built my airplane ,I used two different types of glue ,a CA glue an a slow cure 2 part epoxy!
That engine is a single needle an the setting is set while at high throttle to where it gets to its
Max rpm until it starts to drop off ,then you can slightly richen it about a 1/4 turn back from that
to be safe ,fuel is usually 5 to 10% nitro!..😎

Thanks for your help.

How do you adjust the idle speed then, if there is no LSN, and just focus on the high RPM?
Also, I had a look and I can see a small screw on the side of the carb, when LSN is usually located.
Should I not touch it then?

Would you like me to take some more close up photos of the carb?

Cheers

Thanks for your help.

How do you adjust the idle speed then, if there is no LSN, and just focus on the high RPM?
Also, I had a look and I can see a small screw on the side of the carb, when LSN is usually located.
Should I not touch it then?

Would you like me to take some more close up photos of the carb?

Cheers

If you noticed the remote needle is away from the carb ,so you dont get your fingers in the prop for tuning!..🤣😂

Most of those later engines did not come with that remote needle ,you had to buy it
extra for optional tuning while the engine is running at full throttle as that was the way
to tune them for optimum rpm power ,the other screw is the idle set ,but I had my idle
set to close so I can kill the engine with my remote in case of an emergency!

Most of those later engines did not come with that remote needle ,you had to buy it
extra for optional tuning while the engine is running at full throttle as that was the way
to tune them for optimum rpm power ,the other screw is the idle set ,but I had my idle
set to close so I can kill the engine with my remote in case of an emergency!

I swear there is an LSN in there as well, but I understand what you are saying, I will leave it be for now, and see how the engine behaves when I adjust only the main needle and idle gap. I still haven't tried to fire it up, as I only have RC car fuel, sidewinder 15% nitro, 12% oil.

I swear there is an LSN in there as well, but I understand what you are saying, I will leave it be for now, and see how the engine behaves when I adjust only the main needle and idle gap. I still haven't tried to fire it up, as I only have RC car fuel, sidewinder 15% nitro, 12% oil.

Yea ,I don't know about if the new airplane engine came out with a Lsn ,it is possible but was not really needed ,
the single one was good as in flight ,you never idle the engine!..🤷‍♂️😂
15% might be OK to test run the engine!..😎

Yea ,I don't know about if the new airplane engine came out with a Lsn ,it is possible but was not really needed ,
the single one was good as in flight ,you never idle the engine!..🤷‍♂️😂
15% might be OK to test run the engine!..😎

How do you prevent the plane from taking off when testing, do you prop it with something, as in stick something in front of it, or tie it down?

Also I don't have the electric starter, I guess I will just have to use a stick and spin the prop.

Thanks

How do you prevent the plane from taking off when testing, do you prop it with something, as in stick something in front of it, or tie it down?

Also I don't have the electric starter, I guess I will just have to use a stick and spin the prop.

Thanks

No ,never just block the wheels ,it will nose down ,usually a t bar holds the tail or hold the tail between
your legs while tuning or a craddle to sit the plane in!..👍

Hey guys

I started the plane up today, it seems to run really good at low to mid throttle, but stalls when I go above that.

Please see video, I am thinking its maybe a glow plug? Didnt have time to dive deeper into troubleshooting today.

Need to get myself an electric starter as well, instead trying to start with a finger/screwdriver handle.

Thanks

Hey guys

I started the plane up today, it seems to run really good at low to mid throttle, but stalls when I go above that.

Please see video, I am thinking its maybe a glow plug? Didnt have time to dive deeper into troubleshooting today.

Need to get myself an electric starter as well, instead trying to start with a finger/screwdriver handle.

Thanks

Using a stick or handle of a screwdriver is known as the chicken stick!..👍

If it stays running an on throttling ,you may need to adjust the needle until the engine smooths out in
intervals each time you gradually throttle up slowly!
So you give it a little throttle then stop ,tune needle until smooths out an repeat until you've reached
full opened carb or full throttle!

Using a stick or handle of a screwdriver is known as the chicken stick!..👍

If it stays running an on throttling ,you may need to adjust the needle until the engine smooths out in
intervals each time you gradually throttle up slowly!
So you give it a little throttle then stop ,tune needle until smooths out an repeat until you've reached
full opened carb or full throttle!
Thanks!

These type of engines, when running lean, give up the same lean bog sound like the smaller RC car engines?

Thanks!

These type of engines, when running lean, give up the same lean bog sound like the smaller RC car engines?

I would think so ,so you should find out either way you turn that needle ,whether it be too lean
or too rich ,so to achieve the optimum rpm's ,it needs throttled up an the tuning done in increments
at same time ,but you need to figure out if the engine is too lean or too rich ,I may have an engine
manual laying around to check ,I have airplane engines ,may give a base setting ,I have to look!..🤔👍

Back