SMC vs. SPC

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
What are you're guys opinions of SMC vs. SPC LiPos? I've owned a couple smc and one spc and I like them both so far but I'm getting ready sometime this year to start replacing all my crap gensacearespammers Lipos with one of these two brands.

My gensacearespammers packs seems to keep going Tango Uniform on me even when they arent being used. I go to cycle and balance charge them once every 6-9 months and every time I do even ones I've never used at all yet seem to develop slight bulging and balancing issues. I used to think Gens were the bomb, now I think theyre the BM...

I'm very happy with both SMC and SPC, they're the only batteries I'll buy. I've only had 1 fail and that was from a pretty terrible head on collision.

thats cool. I guess I'll see who has more lipos in stock and go that route lol. Its so crappy cuz I've lost a lot of money on those gensacearespammers lipos. They perform better (when theyre working) than say my Zippy packs but I've not lost a single zippy pack from just sitting on a shelf. o_O

Or no battery to be safest, maybe?

Are you suggesting that its dangerous to give Rolex LiPos? lol

No, he just never uses them.

Except in his ban-stick....

I thought the ban stick was hamster powered?

Depends on what build version you're talking about :D

Anyway, I'm in the market for a shorty pack, or packs and I was wondering why this has no wires, and is it safe to put wires on it, something like 2 male bullet connectors to a deans female, or do I need to solder bullet connectors to my esc power wires.

http://begoracing.com/shop/index.php?route=product/product&path=42_80&product_id=1104

I'm not sure why but SMC seems to sell the leads to these separately. The one Shorty pack I've bought in the past came with one but it was a different brand. At any rate, you can purchase these from SMC, HobbyKing, probably other places as well. You can make one but you'll need to build it with a balance adapter in it as well since its a 2S pack.

SMC w/o connector
SMC w/Deans connector
SMC w/Traxxas connector
Hobbyking w/Deans
Hobbyking also has some others with different connectors like XT-60 and Tamiya

OK, as long as others have put wires on them I'll try them. I probably need those wires to charge them.

For the time being hobbyking isn't sending any lipos to Canada through the postal services, they can through a currier service, like FedEx, but FedEx doesn't deliver to rural areas like mine, I'd have to send them to a pick up destination first, which isn't bad, but I'd have to research what happens to a curriered package once it changes hands at the border.

You can order the SMC packs from somewhere else and just buy the charge leads from hobbyking. Either that or order both the packs and the leads straight from SMC?

I just ordered them both from bego-racing, they're the smc supplier in Canada, even though the guys at bego are extremely hard to communicate with, their primary language must be french. I called them once, and this could be entirely my fault, but it took the owner a good few mins to grasp idea that I was trying to buy an in stock charger, and a few lipos that needed to be pre-ordered , and never mind an email, I did that before, and he replied in french. I didn't/don't know enough to reply, so I had to download an app to read what he sent.

lol, reminds me of when I used to do tech support for playstation. Everytime a french Canadian would call we would have to get an interpreter on the line to do the call. It was a hugh pain in the butt and it was ridiculous cuz most of them could speak English fairly well they just refused to. Let em get pissed off though and see how much they need an interpreter. I still have a sore spot to this day about French Canadians. lol

Damned, french Canadians, they've done it to me again! I purchased some SMC shortys from bego-racing, now it's been 5 days without s shipping confirmation, so I gave them a call, the owner had such broken English that he either confused both of us or just me...

Insert your own french accent for bego...

Bego: hello, yes.

Me: hello, sir, I'm calling to check in order #XXXX. Has it shipped yet.

Bego: yes order #XXXX shipped, no not shipped, the battery is out of order...out of stock.

Me: oh, alright, but the website said were in stock.

Bego: no, I placed the order 3 weeks ago, no battery 2 weeks ago.

Me: alright, how long before you can ship to me?

Bego: 3 week ago, no 2 week ago.

Me: OK, thanks? Bye.

Last edited:
I've had problems with Bego racing before, they had a note on the website saying he would be on vacation for 2 weeks starting on a Friday. I emailed him on Tuesday asking if I ordered today would the batteries be shipped before the Friday, he replied with a one word answer of "yes". Needless to say they weren't. When they actually did arrive one was swollen a bit, I could not get him to reply until I emailed the American supplier/rep maybe. I got a reply from him less than an hour later, and I email from bego not long after that. My bad battery was replaced so all worked out in the end.

The American supplier/rep is a member of this forum, his name does have SMC in it. You can email him, and he may be able to help.
Other then the little problem I had with Bego, I've never had a problem with the batteries. They're phenomenal for the price.

Greywolf most english speaking Canadians have a sore spot for French Canadians, this is coming from a man who's father was born and grew up there. I still have family there (english speaking they have a tough time living there) and spent a good amount of summers there, I now dread driving in the province, and hate the looks I get when I speak english there.

I've had problems with Bego racing before, they had a note on the website saying he would be on vacation for 2 weeks starting on a Friday. I emailed him on Tuesday asking if I ordered today would the batteries be shipped before the Friday, he replied with a one word answer of "yes". Needless to say they weren't. When they actually did arrive one was swollen a bit, I could not get him to reply until I emailed the American supplier/rep maybe. I got a reply from him less than an hour later, and I email from bego not long after that. My bad battery was replaced so all worked out in the end.

The American supplier/rep is a member of this forum, his name does have SMC in it. You can email him, and he may be able to help.
Other then the little problem I had with Bego, I've never had a problem with the batteries. They're phenomenal for the price.

Greywolf most english speaking Canadians have a sore spot for French Canadians, this is coming from a man who's father was born and grew up there. I still have family there (english speaking they have a tough time living there) and spent a good amount of summers there, I now dread driving in the province, and hate the looks I get when I speak english there.
lol, doesn't surprise me. I mean I kinda get why they want to speak French and everything but if I were French Canadian and I had to call the USA for tech support and I could speak English so I didnt have to be encumbered by a translator Id like to think I would.

So, how long before I can start asking for my money back on these lipos? I paid Sept 10/2015, and I haven't had so much as an email update about them. The only time I checked on them was when I called bego directly, and was promptly confused by the french accented broken english store owner that I talked to for maybe 5 min.

Still waiting? Time to send them an email and tell them you'll be filing a claim through Ebay and PayPal if they don't reply immediately.
You won't believe how quickly they'll ship your order.
You can still trash them with bad feedback after you get it.

Done & done, I hope I get the lipos instead of the money, I've been wanting to see if they're any better than reaction shorty I have.

Back