Slot cars - something to do in Winter.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had some time to play around with my track on a rainy weekend. I wanted to change up the layout, the one I had was way too wobbly and unstable. I came up with one easy layout first using a track design software:
simpledesign.jpg

I also added some lighting, and lampposts.
428429425_236233996232928_7862483463933667129_n.jpg

It was fun, but way too short. I have soooo many track sections. I tried a whole bunch of ideas, and looked at some 8x4 layouts by other people and came up with this one:
finaldesignmax.jpg

Got this one put together and started testing out. Lotta fun, and both lanes are balanced. I think this wound up being 31.5 feet. I also later discovered that this was real similar to a somewhat well known "Scalextric Maximizer" layout, but in reverse. I also got these building kits and started putting them together. Got the control tower done. Please ignore the clutter in the background, lol. It's the unfinished part of our basement we use for storage. That being said, we have a lotta crap to get rid of!!
20240305_071433.jpg

I also installed a light kit in one of my Vipers. This is not really done and kind of a mess, and I need to redo the front beams for sure. This is a project car that is waiting on a lot of upgrades for the chassis.
20240304_191306.jpg

I need to mount the lights behind the axle and (using these clips that screw into the chassis hold it into place and have the lights arch over the axle and into a better, more direct position behind the headlight sockets. This car is getting a motor pod suspension kit added. I already changed out the motor to a Slot.IT Flat-6 model which seems better suited for the track than the high torque stock one with low gears. I geared it up a bit and it's real smooth around the track.

Lights still look cool, but will be brighter when I remount them properly.
20240304_201455.jpg

The system uses a capacitor, so you can simply free rev the motor to get the lights to the brightness you want, then run it and it draws very tiny amount from the track to keep it charged. It stays lit for a bit after you stop too.
20240304_205322.jpg

I need to get some other cars beside Vipers, lol.

So cool, I miss my slotcar track.
Every time I see something like this, I get that itch to get my track up to speed. But, then I come to the realization that it's going to take a poop load of elbow grease, and then I quickly lose the desire 😄

Last edited:
So cool, I miss my slotcar track.

I really love having it. Reminds me of a summer I spent at my cousins' house running them in their basement. I even got my wife racing a bit, she has fun with it. Getting a little tired of her beating me though :D

Back