Sledge diff issue

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ramp addict

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I just want to know if this is normal. When backflipping my truck at high speed and the trigger is maxed out it makes a loud chainsaw like noise. This happens when the truck is rotating in the air and there isn't any resistance on the wheels. I don't see how this could be slipping gears being the truck is completely airborne when this happens. On the ground it drives completely normal with no signs of gear issues. Is this just the gears chattering after it reaches maximum RPM in the air? I don't own a GoPro so I have no video of this.

It's hard to say without hearing your noise but I'm curious, do you hear the same noise if you just pick the car up off the ground and hit max throttle? You may be hearing the axles/hubs binding when the suspension is at full droop.

There comes a point when the suspension has traveled downward further than the drive axle is capable of, which makes a really funny sound. I can't recall for sure but I think the sledge has droop screws from the factory, in the lower control arms, that stop the suspension from traveling down too far. If so a little adjustment will fix that issue.

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. Hope that helps.

I installed droop screws with washer stacks before it's first drive. Bearing issues? I'm tearing down the hubs tonight so we'll find out. Another thing is the steering blocks and hub carriers are real soft and I've been jumping the truck hard. My axles and bearings might be flopping around in the carriers. Back to, I'm tearing them down now. Flooring the truck with the wheels off to see what happens I didn't think of. Thank you.

I would think you'd hear bearing noise all the time, more so under a load.

The whole truck got torn down and put back together last night, couldn't find anything wrong with it. There were a few loose screws but that's it.

Did you try WOT off the ground with the tires off?

Louder than hell with the body off but smooth and no chattering or any other noises it shouldn't be making. It runs perfectly. The truck has been beaten on pretty hard, possibly putting it back together properly fixed the problem. Sunday is its next outing, we'll find out if anything has been fixed then.

It's possible your just hearing the tires. Do they balloon a lot? Are the beads secure?

I check the tires after every drive, they're fine and dry. They have been off balance since the first drive. Today I had 6s Backflips with 10mm offset hubs on the truck. The truck ran perfectly today, no chattering or noises it shouldn't be making. Both of my shock towers were bent (been replaced with M2C carbon) so the gear boxes might have been pulled apart a bit allowing the diffs to bounce around. Whatever the issue is it seems to be fixed now. I still would like to know what it was just out of general curiosity.

It's most likely your ring gear and pinion lash getting loose with no load/resistance on the tires. My Raptor R has a loud ring and pinion. Nothing is wrong, it functions perfectly, just a little louder when it's off loading. On the ground it's normal.

Back