Slash question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimmie28

RCTalk Addict
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
I just got a used vxl 3 slash 2wd. I love thing already but when I put a battery (2s) in it the motor hesitates with a grinding noise and then runs smoothly. I tore the tranny apart to see if it was binding in there but its smooth as silk. I hand turned the motors pinion and it seems clunky anyone know what would cause that?... is it a bad motor? I'm new to brushless so I'm lost. Thanks for the help

i think you are experiencing whats called cogging, a video would be easiest for use to confirm, i think that the VXLs are a 2 pole system, so the time that the shaft is halfway between poles the motor loses a bit of power before it reaches far enough to interact with the other pole. a 4 pole would probably fix it if that is in fact what is happening. another thing that may help is to drop a pinion gear tooth or two.

i think you are experiencing whats called cogging, a video would be easiest for use to confirm, i think that the VXLs are a 2 pole system, so the time that the shaft is halfway between poles the motor loses a bit of power before it reaches far enough to interact with the other pole. a 4 pole would probably fix it if that is in fact what is happening. another thing that may help is to drop a pinion gear tooth or two.
Thanks @D3MON. I'll give the pinion a try first. If that doesn't solve it then I'll look into a 4 pole motor.

it makes almost like a stuttering sound at low throttle correct?

the clicking is called non sensored stuttering . cause from a nonsensored esc with motor.not much you can do...sensored esc with motor and sensor wire(cable)thats your only true fix.

to be precise the motor turns the esc doesn't recognize what phase it is in till motor catches up with esc then smooth running happens.

Ok. It's the stock vxl 3s velineon set up so I would think traxxas should have sorted it out. However it is a used slash so anything is possible

its never sorted out without a sensored esc and motor.

never had that happen to any of my VXL's. I've got 12 that are as old as 8 years. I would suspect the motor has a problem like a dead pole.
Traxxas has a fantastic support team and you can call them on any of their products even if you buy it used. If the motor is bad they will sell you one for half price just for trade in'
call 888-872-9972
Talk to a rep and they will work with you on the phone. sorry no texting

its never sorted out without a sensored esc and motor.
not completely no, but the chances of cogging happening are severely reduced with the use of a 4-pole system unless there is severe strain on the system. as there isn't a complete "dead spot" between the poles for the stator to get "lost" between if that makes sense? I'm sure there is more of a tech-term for that lol

Unsure without seeing it in the flesh, but the VXL motor is rather Notchy anyway.

Unsure without seeing it in the flesh, but the VXL motor is rather Notchy anyway.
I'm learning something, GO ARRMA! It's cheaper and more reliable, plus they come stock with way more steel parts, like shocks and driveshafts.

I adjusted the slipper clutch and worked on the wiring as per traxxas support email. It clicks a little but nearly as much and only at low throttle at the very start. I'll take that as a win. Turns out this truck was beaten more than the previous owner stated but I'm happy with it

You can never be sure what you get when you buy used. But it sounds like you did pretty good. It would also be in your best interest to check all other Fasteners and make sure nothing else has been ill-fitted. One thing I have learned about the Traxxas is the left side a arm screws will back out. You can fix this by simply taking it out from the back and reinstalling it in the front. that way the a-arm actually tightens the screw instead of loosening it

I'm learning something, GO ARRMA! It's cheaper and more reliable, plus they come stock with way more steel parts, like shocks and driveshafts.

Well yes for the price of my Slash 4x4 LCG I could of bought my Kraton 6s, I like them both but not comparable , the Senton 3s is cheap but I had to do a lot of tinkering to get the drivetrain sorted out, it’s not without its faults, spares don’t always fit right, Traxxas no issues out of thebox spares fit like it’s factory fitted.

Well yes for the price of my Slash 4x4 LCG I could of bought my Kraton 6s, I like them both but not comparable , the Senton 3s is cheap but I had to do a lot of tinkering to get the drivetrain sorted out, it’s not without its faults, spares don’t always fit right, Traxxas no issues out of thebox spares fit like it’s factory fitted.
With all the upgrades you have to do if you're a basher though, Arrma is cheaper in the long run, as far as SCTs go at least.

Back