Slash 4x4 questions.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biggman100

Hardcore RCTalk User
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have never messed with a Slash 4x4, but, I recently picked up a roller I have a couple questions about. With a 3900KV 3650 brushless motor, what would be a good starting point pinion wise? Anyone pull the driveshaft and run it 2WD, or would it be better not to? I have ran a mid motor 2WD before that was originally 4WD, from another company, and that didn't go too well. For ESC and motor, Traxxas VXL or Radient Reaktor? I have never used either, but, I have a chance to pick up a VXL-3S and TRX 3500KV motor, and a Radient Reaktor with 3000KV motor for the same price for either.

Stock gearing in mine is a 13T pinion with the 54T spur... I only run it with 2S battery, but no heat issues.

Definitely get a 3660 motor for that thing. 3000-3500 KV. Hobbywing's Max10 SCT is a decent system for a slash 4x4 (just don't get the 4000KV, too high). I'd recommend a motor fan too.

It probably wouldn't work all that well with only the rears driving it, 2wd and 4wd are very different setups suspension wise.

The stock VXL system is kinda meh, too weak and will overheat. Probably manageable on 2s, so depends on your batteries.

Don't know anything about the Radient system, but make sure you get at least a 60A rated ESC, 80A or more if possible. Buy once, cry once!

Definitely get a 3660 motor for that thing. 3000-3500 KV. Hobbywing's Max10 SCT is a decent system for a slash 4x4 (just don't get the 4000KV, too high). I'd recommend a motor fan too.

It probably wouldn't work all that well with only the rears driving it, 2wd and 4wd are very different setups suspension wise.

The stock VXL system is kinda meh, too weak and will overheat. Probably manageable on 2s, so depends on your batteries.

Don't know anything about the Radient system, but make sure you get at least a 60A rated ESC, 80A or more if possible. Buy once, cry once!
Slash is only 2s car if you don’t want to buy driveshaft consantly in my experience.

Steel CVD’s are $140 but worth it if you bash the slash.

IMHO

Good point, maybe keep it 2s. I got mine used with the old version of steel CVDs already installed. The rubber boots crack after 3 packs (I think they were made for XO-1s with less suspension travel) but the rest is indestructible!

Oh and a piece of advice:
Check your hinge pins often! They like to back out. Upper shock screws too.

Good point, maybe keep it 2s. I got mine used with the old version of steel CVDs already installed. The rubber boots crack after 3 packs (I think they were made for XO-1s with less suspension travel) but the rest is indestructible!

Mines fully upgraded, but I’m bashing in under 20f weather a lot so plastic get brittle.

Broke most of my driveshafts in the summer though.

That one i know all about. I swear the 2WD Slash (which i think the 4WD Slash is based off of) was somewhat based off the 2WD Arrma Fury, since they both had problems with the hinge pins coming loose. At least on the Fury, they put C-Clips on the pins, and you can get hardened screws with lock nuts for it if it becomes too much of an issue, but, i have never found anything like that for the Slash. I ran my 2WD Slash with a 4370KV motor and 100A ESC on 3S, and never broke the plastic driveshafts, so what is the difference between the 2WD and 4WD shafts? This is my 2WD Slash last winter at a skate park:

I'm guessing you were lucky with the driveshafts... Things that'll make them last longer: good throttle control, bad tires, loose slipper.

I know that for most slash owners they're an expendable item. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back