Slash 4x4. Brushed

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mattyfats420

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
I had a coupon for my local hobby shop that expired today. I wanted something 4wd so I picked up the slash 4x4 xl-5. I have not opened it yet so I do have the option to take it back for either a different model or the brushless slash. Will I be that disappointed with the xl5?? Is it worth the extra money to get the brushless version of the slash? Keeping in mind that I do not have any batteries for either one so I do need to drop $100 on the Traxxas 2s Lipo and charger. Let me know what you guys think. Recommendations ect. Always heard the slash was a great truck but now they have the rustler 4x4.

I had a coupon for my local hobby shop that expired today. I wanted something 4wd so I picked up the slash 4x4 xl-5. I have not opened it yet so I do have the option to take it back for either a different model or the brushless slash. Will I be that disappointed with the xl5?? Is it worth the extra money to get the brushless version of the slash? Keeping in mind that I do not have any batteries for either one so I do need to drop $100 on the Traxxas 2s Lipo and charger. Let me know what you guys think. Recommendations ect. Always heard the slash was a great truck but now they have the rustler 4x4.

I think it is worth the extra for the brushless version because the stuff is already to go .an you don't have
to switch it over when you decide to ,you would be more happier!

I bought a used Slash 4x4 brushless a few months back ,it is awesome ,I am HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY!...:celebrate:

Others could probably elaborate more but I think the brushless had heavier duty drivetrain. If it's one your first RCs I dont think you will be disappointed, but if you are already experienced somewhat you would probably want an upgrade. Imo I've had more luck with arrma RCs than traxxas but if your lhs Carrie's more traxxas stuff and you get rpm as stuff breaks the traxxas should be fine.

I think it really depends on what you are used to and what you want to do with it. For reference the Rustler 4x4 is almost 100% identical to the Slash but has a shorter wheelbase. This means more twitchy handling, but if you want to do flips or stunts the shorter wheelbase is good for that. Out of the box they are kind of slow (all brushed models) So if you plan on running on the streets often it would get boring very fast. You can get them up in to the 20-30mph range with larger pinion gears on the motor but then the motor overheats during extended use...

The plus side is that brushed models are light and fun to drive. They take a beating and keep on going. These lighter trucks are great for jumping around in the dirt. We have an 6s Arrma Kraton that does a legit 60+mph (GPS confirmed by yours truly), but we also have a brushed Slash LCG that is lots of fun to drive and jump. It has a more realistic feel not being crazy powerful as the power matches the scale size better. Plus it does not break EVER other models that go too fast break constantly. I really thought the brushed Slash would be too boring, but we have lots of fun with it.

Don't get me wrong I'll drive the 6s Kraton over the brushed Slash any day because I am a power/speed junkie. As a starter vehicle the brushed models are not all bad.

Last edited:
I think it really depends on what you are used to and what you want to do with it. For reference the Rustler 4x4 is almost 100% identical to the Slash but has a shorter wheelbase. This means more twitchy handling, but if you want to do flips or stunts the shorter wheelbase is good for that. Out of the box they are kind of slow (all brushed models) So if you plan on running on the streets often it would get boring very fast. You can get them up in to the 20-30mph range with larger pinion gears on the motor but then the motor overheats during extended use...

The plus side is that brushed models are light and fun to drive. They take a beating and keep on going. These lighter trucks are great for jumping around in the dirt. We have an 6s Arrma Kraton that does a legit 60+mph (GPS confirmed by yours truly), but we also have a brushed Slash LCG that is lots of fun to drive and jump. It has a more realistic feel not being crazy powerful as the power matches the scale size better. Plus it does not break EVER other models that go too fast break constantly. I really thought the brushed Slash would be too boring, but we have lots of fun with it.

Don't get me wrong I'll drive the 6s Kraton over the brushed Slash any day because I am a power/speed junkie. As a starter vehicle the brushed models are not all bad.

I feel a lot happier now. I’m just using it as a Basher for now. So the 4wd was a must. I have a 2wd stampede that’s great with the xl5 so a 4wd was the next step. I figure a 2s LiPo would make the fun that much more. And if I blow a motor Traxxas covers is and for the price of brushless set ups these days. It’s cheap enough not to have to worry about right now. Plus (at least for me) buying the top of the line rc right off the bat takes out the fun of tracking down cheap parts and installing them. I was never a big fan of upgrading the already upgraded from the factory. Also I heard that having the short course chassis is a lot more versatile ie changing from monster truck and back to sc.