Should I or shouldn’t I????

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevo747

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
Hi guys I recently purchased a FXT Carnage nitro Rc no the suspension holder Snapped when I hit a cone now what I want to know is can I replace the broken suspension holder with a aluminium one I’ve been told not to because they can cause more damage?? Is this right?? I’ve replaced the broken holder with a plastic replacement. But would love to hear your guy’s thoughts 💭
Just in need of a little help as I’m new to nitro rc cars but know enough on how to fix them as I’ve got motorcycles & Scooters….
All help greatly appreciated guys
Best Stevo…..

If by suspension holder you mean shock tower, then yeah, going aluminum will be just fine. That being said though, having an aluminum rear shock tower on my Jato caused it to do some major damage to the car on a very, very light bump on the rear on s bad landing, but the Traxxas Jato transmission housing, and the way the shock tower mounts to it is STUPID!

Some people call these parts by different names, but this is what I refer to these parts as. Shock tower is shock tower across the board though as far as I know.
Untitled152_20230304071627.png

Last edited:
If by suspension holder you mean shock tower, then yeah, going aluminum will be just fine. That being said though, having an aluminum rear shock tower on my Jato caused it to do some major damage to the car on a very, very light bump on the rear on s bad landing, but the Traxxas Jato transmission housing, and the way the shock tower mounts to it is STUPID!
Hi wickedfog this is the part I’m onabout
The shop seller told me if I replace the plastic one with the aluminium one if I bumped it it would cause wheel rod damage don’t know the word for it plus he said it could damage the suspension too??? If bumped into something! So who’s right him or you guy’s my gut feeling is you guy’s at the end of the day he would want to make cash.
But please find attached a photo of front and back suspension holder

66FC3DA8-58FB-444A-A22A-0A91FE636307.jpeg

Those are perfect places to use aluminum. The salesman that told you that is a moron. Those are the bulkheads.

Those are perfect places to use aluminum. The salesman that told you that is a moron. Those are the bulkheads.
Thanks for the much appreciated help WickedFog so if I ran into a wall at farely low speed nothin on the front end of the truggy will get damaged with the aluminium suspension holder??? Is that right what you’re saying? Many Thanks Stevo…,,🤓

If you hit anything hard enough, anything will break. But if you hit a wheel, the A-arm will flex, absorbing the impact. If the plastic bulkheads gave way before the A-arm, I would say they are cheap, weak ass plastic. So an aluminum upgrade will solve that. Replacing an arm is a lot easier than tearing the diff housing off to replace that rear bulkhead. Probably cheaper as well.

I’ve just ordered one now he the seller who sells the cars and trucks said the parts are ment to be broken when he said that to me alarms started ringing in my head… why put a part on a car if it’s ment to be broke? lol it’s ridiculous my friend.🤟🏻🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿👍 greetings from wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

I’ve just ordered one now he the seller who sells the cars and trucks said the parts are ment to be broken when he said that to me alarms started ringing in my head… why put a part on a car if it’s ment to be broke? lol it’s ridiculous my friend.🤟🏻🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿👍 greetings from wales 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
There are parts on RC cars that are prone to breakage, because there needs to be some flex in areas to absorb some impact. Like the A-arms. You want to stick with plastic there so they take the hit and flex to absorb it. But things like carriers, spindles, bulkheads, shock towers - those can be aluminum or carbon fiber so they don't flex.

Look at the bulkheads in the pic I posted. They are aluminum. That is a quality RC chassis.

Just had a look the bulkhead that broke on me there’s two rods either side well where they slot in one of the bulk heads broke I was only doing 5 mph if that and the wheel went over a road cone and it just gave way anyways I’m back on the road again if this one I’ve replaced breaks again then I’ll put the spare aluminium one on you’ve been most helpful my friend cheers…..

Welcome in @Stevo747 , a good thing to remember is, aluminum sometimes is good but it also transfers the shock of a bad hit to the next weakest point.
So if you start replacing plastic parts with aluminum keep that in mind. Aluminum A-arms is a fine example. It's the worst place to install aluminum.
I have one rig with aluminum A-arms but I built it for a shelf queen and nothing more.
Plastic flexes with a bad hit and returns back to is original position for the most part.
Aluminum only bends with a bad hit.
I have one rig I used all aluminum including A-arms but it is a shelf queen and nothing more.
My apologies if you mentioned this @WickedFog

If you go aluminum go all the way if you don’t plan to bash it. This 8s Baja bug I went all the way out. Had to go dual coil overs on rear for the weight when you go this far. This car is no joke just depends how far you want to go.

BAA7FA9A-3DB2-418C-AEE4-5E32E1CB74F1.jpeg

3B3DB2AF-A8E9-4080-94AC-0F07DF0ADB19.jpeg

Cheers guys for all help given much appreciated some of you guys are well knowledgeable on the rc scene by the looks
Of it well ahead of me lol 😂 but many thanks 🤓👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🤟🏻

Cheers guys for all help given much appreciated some of you guys are well knowledgeable on the rc scene by the looks
Of it well ahead of me lol 😂 but many thanks 🤓👍🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🤟🏻
No problem Stevo. Hang out here and you'll soon be an RC addict with a lot of knowledge. There are a lot of guys here that have been into the hobby for a long time. My first experience with hobby grade stuff was around 1980 when my dad got into flying RC planes. Been hooked ever since.

Yea stick around there is a lot good people here that are very smart what I like is there is always someone smart in certain area that you will run into with advice tips so on.

Hi guys I recently purchased a FXT Carnage nitro Rc no the suspension holder Snapped when I hit a cone now what I want to know is can I replace the broken suspension holder with a aluminium one I’ve been told not to because they can cause more damage?? Is this right?? I’ve replaced the broken holder with a plastic replacement. But would love to hear your guy’s thoughts 💭
Just in need of a little help as I’m new to nitro rc cars but know enough on how to fix them as I’ve got motorcycles & Scooters….
All help greatly appreciated guys
Best Stevo…..
Go with the plastic for that kind of stuff don't go with aluminum I tried it and end up breaking more stuff

If you go aluminum go all the way if you don’t plan to bash it. This 8s Baja bug I went all the way out. Had to go dual coil overs on rear for the weight when you go this far. This car is no joke just depends how far you want to go.

View attachment 161200

View attachment 161201
Your Baja certainly looks not to be any kind of joke, to say the least. Very cool. Love the cool chassis plate.I also have to say, maybe it would look sort of incomplete without the aluminum suspension arms.

Thanks for the info… much appreciated 👍