Should I get a small block as my next engine?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echelon6

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Just weighing up the pros and cons of small vs big block

As a basher, the things I like about small block are:
-fuel economy (longer intervals before refueling)
-small mills tend to cost less
-small mills tend to cost less to rebuild
-don't mind the lower acceleration

Just a few questions though:
1) do small mills tend to last longer or shorter?
2) will my top speed decrease substantially from going from .18 to .12
3) are small mills harder to tune (cos they retain less heat etc)?
4) what are some good reliable .15s or .12s? I know OS is a good brand but they make so many types for any given size. I'm just after a reliable, cost effective mill which holds a tune very well and is cheap to rebuild or replace. No need for anything fancy like rotary carbs etc

Thanks

Nope, rs4 evo 3

I think I read somewhere that smaller mills tend to burn out faster because they reach damaging RPMs faster, is this true? I don't understand how this can be the case if the clutch is engaged. In fact I thought the opposite was true because a smaller mill with weaker torque will have lower acceleration, and therefore be exposed to damaging RPMs LESS than a bigger mill on the same rig...

Most of the time, it's almost impossible to mount a big-block into an on-road nitro.

Yes, smaller mills do die out faster. But there is benefit. With smaller nitro mills, you actually are getting more speed. You can try getting the sleeve pinched after to see if you get more life out of the engine.

They won't reach damaging RPM's if you are using a 2-speed. Once the engine reaches a certain RPM, the gear will shift to 2nd gear.