Shocks for off-road

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HunterRC-DK

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hello guys 😄

I wanna change the shocks on my Slash vxl 2wd, I still use the stock chassi. I think the lowered one is bad for off-road driving which I do most of the time.

But what kinda shocks should I aim for? 🤪

I use the LCG chassis for the track and off-road bashing and does just fine. Only reason I would keep the stock chassis is if your going over rocks or something. LCG really changes the handling of the car. Less roll overs and more corner speed. Now if we are talking like grass, mainly around me is short and thick grass. But if your running in thin and tall grass then HCG would be better.

Stock shocks can be good if you put aluminum caps and TiNi shafts on them. I run. The big bores personally which are the same as the stock shocks but with aluminum caps, body and TiNi shafts.
I would rather go with Traxxas GTRs or ProLine power strokes. But since your just bashing, stock shocks or big bore shocks can do.
PXL_20240225_203524568.jpg

I been running big bores for the past 3 years and they are pretty good. Only reason my rear shocks have a blue cap is because they are from my rustler cause the original ones I had for my slash, they leaked and j couldn't rebuild them. Only con for the big bore shocks is a tough rebuild because they use a c clip to hold all the internals in, instead of a screw on cap.

My rustler on the other hand is using the stock shocks. Pretty good. Used to run big bores but went back to stock as I had to steal those shocks for the slash. 🤣
PXL_20240225_203509591.jpg

If I were me, I personally like running a higher / thicker weight shock oil. Mainly just because I do both racing track bashing and around the house bashing. I run 50wt and I been liking it. Stock shocks oil I believe is 30wt and it's super thin (to me at least)

Last edited: