Shocks and Shock Oil, HELP ME PLEASE

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBoi87

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Hello, I'm kinda new to the RC car hobby. Can anyone give me any idea of what weight shock oil to use in a Losi XXX-NT? I'm thinking 30Wt. or 40Wt or should i go less. but I don't know. I like to drive it on road and off road, more on road and i like to do a lot of big air jumps. Also I'm thinking about upgrading the shocks and, was wondering what to buy. What brand name and model, all aluminum or some plastic and, piggyback shocks or no piggyback? PLEASE HELP ME
Thank you for your time

Last edited:
30 wt oil should be fine for what you want to do. If jumping, you don't want a thick oil as that will tend to cause the shafts to bend since it is harder to compress.

I have had good luck with both GPM, Golden Horizon and 3 Racing. These are all aluminum shocks and have been reliable for me.

Piggyback shocks are a waste of money IMO, as they are mostly for looks (read non-functional) in the 1/8, 1/10 scale trucks.

How do I find (non-functional) in the 1/8, 1/10 scale trucks? I can't seem to figure it out

Lol you didn't understand him. He's just saying that there's no use for them as they don't function the way they would on a full scale vehicle. The resovoir is just for looks.

The set I'm looking at, do have a function. I'm looking at the, Gmade XD Piggyback Shock.
http://www.gmade.net/bbs/zboard.php...n&sc=on&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=28
xd_piggyback_shock_detail_4.jpg

Last edited:
You don't need to pm this and post it in the thread I would've responded on here, or someone else will too.

I didnt pm you. my gf did i was busy and asked her reply and she thought i mean pm

Then that's a dedicated gf! Mine has no interest in rc, only if a paint a body pink!

Her hobby is collecting bath and body works candles!

The piggyback shocks aren't necessary. I only use them on my SCX-10 trail truck and on everything else I use a stock-style shock from the companies I listed earlier. I beat my smaller trucks (1/16 and smaller) quite hard and the only shock that i had that didn't hold up was a set by Integy.

Agreed, waste of money but if you want the realism and you got the cash then go for it.