Shock up-grade??

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gothe80

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I have a hobby tech 1/8 DB8SL desert racer, two of the shocks are leaking oil, other than putting a kit through them are there any shocks out there that can fit straight on and that are good quality?
Cheers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    265.5 KB · Views: 82
Hi everyone
I have a hobby tech 1/8 DB8SL desert racer, two of the shocks are leaking oil, other than putting a kit through them are there any shocks out there that can fit straight on and that are good quality?
Cheers
First, welcome to the forum! Ask any and all RC questions here, and feel free to post RC stuff! I haven't heard of that rig before, so I'd say get 2 rebuild kits, and a bottle of suitble weight of shock oil, (so you can rebuild each shock once). Rebuild (or at least change the O-rings and shock oil) and rebuild the 2 leaky shocks, and this way when the 2 other shocks need a servicing you'll already have parts on hand for that.

First, welcome to the forum! Ask any and all RC questions here, and feel free to post RC stuff! I haven't heard of that rig before, so I'd say get 2 rebuild kits, and a bottle of suitble weight of shock oil, (so you can rebuild each shock once). Rebuild (or at least change the O-rings and shock oil) and rebuild the 2 leaky shocks, and this way when the 2 other shocks need a servicing you'll already have parts on hand for that.
Hi there, I have ordered some shocks that will have as spares and I did do a rebuild on the old ones. He’s my RC. Nice buggy runs on 3s

Attachments

• A06D25B8-1207-42CA-A89E-08099FE2CF88.png
    A06D25B8-1207-42CA-A89E-08099FE2CF88.png
    279.4 KB · Views: 44
I would try to break them down and clean them up, and use green slime. Just to see if that would work.

Hi everyone
Cheers
There's probably alot of shock that will work. Messure the ones you have and match them up..
It all depends on what style you want. What type of driven you do. And your budget.. I would definitely go with adjustable shocks. So you can fine tune them. With that rig the oil probably somewhere 25 to 40 shock oil

Hi there, I have ordered some shocks that will have as spares and I did do a rebuild on the old ones. He’s my RC. Nice buggy runs on 3s
That is a cool looking rig! ZD Racing makes 1/8 scale shocks, but not sure if they have the length you need. Measure from eye to eye and see what the lengths are front and rear.

That is a cool looking rig! ZD Racing makes 1/8 scale shocks, but not sure if they have the length you need. Measure from eye to eye and see what the lengths are front and rear.
Yes, I was thinking about those rigs too! Right on, just follow what Wicked said! Also, make sure that the shock mounting hardware (top and bottom) are the same, otherwise you might run into some hardware issues.

There's probably alot of shock that will work. Messure the ones you have and match them up..
It all depends on what style you want. What type of driven you do. And your budget.. I would definitely go with adjustable shocks. So you can fine tune them. With that rig the oil probably somewhere 25 to 40 shock oil
Thanks, I’ve got some shocks coming in the next few days that will fit quite nicely i recon and yep the adjustable ones are definitely the go

Thanks, I’ve got some shocks coming in the next few days that will fit quite nicely i recon and yep the adjustable ones are definitely the go
Very cool. Would love to see more of that buggy when you get it up and running. Looks like a beast.

Very cool. Would love to see more of that buggy when you get it up and running. Looks like a beast.
It goes pretty quick, hard to keep it from flipping , it must be my driving lol

It goes pretty quick, hard to keep it from flipping , it must be my driving lol
A lot of buggies are that way because they get better grip in the corners than the center of gravity can withstand. It's all about throttle control with buggies. Practice and suspension tuning will help.

A good practice is to try to ease up on the throttle every time you turn the wheels 😉

A lot of buggies are that way because they get better grip in the corners than the center of gravity can withstand. It's all about throttle control with buggies. Practice and suspension tuning will help.

A good practice is to try to ease up on the throttle every time you turn the wheels 😉
Yep, buggies corner well, sometimes too well! I haven't flipped my buggy when turning at 1/2 throttle yet, but my new 1/16 scale MT is teaching me to be more careful in the corners (it feels a bit less "planted" in corners, likes to slide and spin out).

Yep, buggies corner well, sometimes too well! I haven't flipped my buggy when turning at 1/2 throttle yet, but my new 1/16 scale MT is teaching me to be more careful in the corners (it feels a bit less "planted" in corners, likes to slide and spin out).
Our Granite is bad about that. But even after letting off the gas, turning sharply sometimes sends it cartwheeling. But the Granite is like a cat and slmost always seems to land on its feet.

Our Granite is bad about that. But even after letting off the gas, turning sharply sometimes sends it cartwheeling. But the Granite is like a cat and slmost always seems to land on its feet.
My MT isn't nearly that squirmy, it just handles a little worse than my buggy, but that's to be expected. At least your Granite likes to land on the wheels!

Here is s run vid. You can see it rolls a few times, but never once did it need to be flipped.

Back