Shock Oil Weight

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big kal

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
What's the recommended shock oil weight for a buggy? It's mainly just for bashing and taking big jumps. On occassion a race or two a month.

You could try something like 60-80wt. Just remember, the heigher the weight, the slower the shock speeds.
[move]-Kellen[/move]

60-80 wt is VERY heavy oil!!! 35 is considered a good general starting place. I run on a very packed track and I run 40wt in the front and 50wt in the back and it is VERY stiff. I suggest starting with 35wt and go from there.

I would use 60-80wt for on-road.

60wt heavy for a buggy? Buggies are like what? 10-15lbs? I use 30wt on my Stadium truck! My friend runs 90wt in his buggy's shocks and it doesn't seem that slow.(dampening wise)
[move]-Kellen[/move]

I'm going to try 35wt in the front and 40 wt in the rear. I have to agree with blazer, 60-80 wt oil is just way too heavy.

As for a buggy weighing 10-15 lbs., no way. My T-Maxx weighs around 12 lbs. and is a lot heavier than my buggy.

Buggies usually weigh 7-8 lbs. My MBX is basically 7.5 lbs, and it's a real missle with that powerful .21 and will generate very hard landings from jumps. I put 50-70 front, 40-45 rear depending on terrain, more front because of the landings and steering.

Your T-Maxx should weigh at least 9+ lbs, a Terra Crusher weighs 12.5 lbs (I have one) and is much heavier than my neighbour's T-Maxx 2.5. My T-Maxx (*cough*Magic Wheel) weighs barely 8 lbs and is quite a fast truck with an XTM .18.

Last edited:
9lbs!!! Are you serious? The monsterGT is supposedly supposed to weigh 12+ pounds. I was guessing the Maxx was atleast in the 11lbs range. Thats it, go go get the scale.
[move]-Kellen[/move]

I run 60 in my maxx, and that is pretty stiff. I think you got some sound advice...start with 35 and go from there. It really depends on your track conditions and layout. One of the things I love about this hobby is all the possibilities....

go 40 up front and 50 in the rear w/ a rear sway bar. That should be perfect all around.

Originally posted by Gmanlusk2004
go 40 up front and 50 in the rear w/ a rear sway bar. That should be perfect all around.

I have found that to be a great all around setup myself at least with the way I like to drive.

I run 35 front and 40 rear and like it alot. I havent seen many folks go over 60 weight on a buggy and that was for some serious jumping.

i like 35 front and 40 rear w/ swaybar for a bumpy track, but w/ smaller jumps. It works great.. awesome shock action.

L8r,
Garrett

I got a buddy who runs 50wt all around, but he likes taking big jumps. I went with 35wt front and 40wt rear. It seems to be a good balance where we bash at.

Biggie Kal, what vehicle might this be? 30wt still seems light in a buggy, my friend tried it and it just wallowed out everytime he grabbed some throttle.
[move]-Kellen[/move]

Its not just the weight of the shock oil. Other things come into play Kellen, like springs, how long the shock is, how many holes are in the shock diaphram, how big are those holes? See I saw a guy this weekend who was using 80wt and his Ofna looked like a lowrider. See he had drilled his shock diaphram holes to the next size up and it compinsated for the heavier oil. 30wt is not too soft because some guys run 15-20 wt in the front.

Okay, but my buddies shocks and whole buggy basically is almost stock platform except for aluminum shock bodies, shock posts, Picco G1 engine, huge Motorsavers Air Filter, and thats about it.
[move]-Kellen[/move]

Originally posted by SilentHunterKellen
Biggie Kal, what vehicle might this be? 30wt still seems light in a buggy, my friend tried it and it just wallowed out everytime he grabbed some throttle.
[move]-Kellen[/move]

I run an XTM X-Terminator w/ the 24.7 engine. The shock oil works fine for right now. I'm going to experiment with a thicker weight, when I have to rebuild the shocks.