Shock oil weight

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noah05

RC Newbie
Reaction score
I have a 2wd Slash, I am upgrading the rear shocks to the Pro-Line PowerStroke and I am wondering what oil weight I should use for good all round performance.

I have a 2wd Slash, I am upgrading the rear shocks to the Pro-Line PowerStroke and I am wondering what oil weight I should use for good all round performance.
Welcome in to the forum Noah! Happy to have you on board! If you haven't yet, feel free to check out my RCT Member Location Map Thread! (Shameless plug lol)

Well, it depends, there's no easy answer, sadly. First, what kind of terrain are you mainly running/going to be running on? On-road, "all-road", rally style terrain, light off road, medium off-road, track, ect? How heavy is your Slash, does it have upgrades? Do you do a lot of jumping, or just the occasional jump? Big jumps, heavy landing, moderate jumps, small jumps, smaller, off-the-curb drops? Do you proritize not bottoming out, best sensitivity, max traction, or jumping performance? Sorry to pour all this on you!

Welcome in to the forum Noah! Happy to have you on board! If you haven't yet, feel free to check out my RCT Member Location Map Thread! (Shameless plug lol)

Well, it depends, there's no easy answer, sadly. First, what kind of terrain are you mainly running/going to be running on? On-road, "all-road", rally style terrain, light off road, medium off-road, track, ect? How heavy is your Slash, does it have upgrades? Do you do a lot of jumping, or just the occasional jump? Big jumps, heavy landing, moderate jumps, small jumps, smaller, off-the-curb drops? Do you proritize not bottoming out, best sensitivity, max traction, or jumping performance? Sorry to pour all this on you!
I am mostly running off road but occasionally on road, it is stock besides a new vxl3s motor and esc, I am also going to upgrade to larger tires eventually, I do moderate jumps and would like a bit better traction but I want better jumps and less bottoming out, thanks.

I am mostly running off road but occasionally on road, it is stock besides a new vxl3s motor and esc, I am also going to upgrade to larger tires eventually, I do moderate jumps and would like a bit better traction but I want better jumps and less bottoming out, thanks.
I am also running a 3s lipo

invest in a better trans case i feel your bench time will increase with 3 cells..I upped my shocks on 2wd slash and went to 55 wt wanted a stiffer ride . 3 or 2 wont matter in wt its the rest it will matter to..good luck

invest in a better trans case i feel your bench time will increase with 3 cells..I upped my shocks on 2wd slash and went to 55 wt wanted a stiffer ride . 3 or 2 wont matter in wt its the rest it will matter to..good luck
Transmission case?

Welcome in @Noah05 , bottoming out is called chassis slap and you have to be careful when you try to correct it. Too stiff on the shocks and it will be harder to control. It will bounce all over the place.

Welcome in @Noah05 , bottoming out is called chassis slap and you have to be careful when you try to correct it. Too stiff on the shocks and it will be harder to control. It will bounce all over the place.
So what would you recommend

I don't have a Slash but I pulled this off the web. You can actually search Slash setup and find it.

The Slash shocks come filled with 30wt shock fluid. This allows the suspension to absorb bumps easily at slower speeds. However, with the fast-paced action of track racing and hard landings from big jumps, slowing down the dampers by increasing the oil viscosity is generally beneficial. This keeps the chassis from bottoming out harshly and better manages weight transfer under acceleration and braking. I fill the front shocks with 50wt shock fluid and the rears with 60wt shock fluid. The front end of the Slash is much lighter than the rear end. This allows a lighter damping setup to be used up front to balance out the overall feel and sets the chassis up nicely in the corners. The 60wt oil in the rear shocks provides ample 'pack' for jump landings and keeps chassis roll to a minimum.