Shock oil weight wt

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BurningRain

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
I've been reading up on this and since there were no threads under suspension (sorry if it's covered elsewhere) thought this would be a good place to start since it can make a massive difference to how the car drives.

I understand the the softer it is the quicker it'll turn in however this also means that it'll bottom out faster so it really depends on what you're driving on what type of surface etc.

Oil weight refers to viscosity and is typically in the range of 10 to 90.

The rule of thumb is that the higher the number the thicker it is and the stiffer it will make your your suspension.

I'm of the impression that for average use you'll typically see 30-40 weight used.

It is recommended to use silicone oil for resistance to temperature variation and weather condition resistance.

Shock oil isn't the only area of consideration, this goes hand it hand with spring rates and also the number of holes in the damper piston.

Feel free to add any important information I may have missed in this post :D

In some scaler shocks thicker oil is needed. In the RC4WD King shocks for example, I have to use 70-80 wt shock oil due to the size of the holes in the piston and the diameter of shock tubes.

I have a Roc Hobby 1/6th scale Willys jeep. I intend replacing the shock absorber oil with 50wt as the present suspension seems very light.
Martin

In some scaler shocks thicker oil is needed. In the RC4WD King shocks for example, I have to use 70-80 wt shock oil due to the size of the holes in the piston and the diameter of shock tubes.
That's how most (if not all) of arrma's 6S trucks are, they run 80wt/1000cst I believe. Doesn't leave you much room to adjust if you want something heavier.

Back