Shifting Problem Answered

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kodama

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Well, after a few threads and only a few possible answers, Traxxas has finally replied to my question and it solved my problem.

My original problem was this... It would shift into second gear at the correct time but wouldn't shift back down into first immediately. I would have to let the truck sit and then eventually it would shift into first once again.

Here is the e-mail to Traxxas:

"I've gone to many different forums looking for an answer and I have found nothing. When my T-Maxx reaches 2nd gear and I slow to a stop it takes a minute and sometimes more to shift back to 1st gear. I took the tranny apart and cleaned it, checked for signs of binding and found nothing. What can I do?

My model is about 2 and a half years old. I still have the TRX Pro .15 also. If that helps at all.

Thank you."

Reply from Traxxas:

"Hello,

I do not know exactly why it is happening but it is related to your 4988 shift hub. It is possible that it is pressing too tightly against the one way bearing and maintaining a high RPM. Something must be driving the shift hub for the pawl to stay deployed. the pawl may be damaged or it may have a bur of some sort that prevents it from easily retracting.

Best regards,
Stephen Lindholm,
TRAXXAS Customer Service"

This might help some people... maybe that guy with the problem where he thinks it's stuck in second gear.

Later.

I was thinking about the e-mail I received from Traxxas. The customer service guy stated that the shift hub could possibly be pushing too hard on the 'one-way bearing'. I'm not sure where the one way bearing within the transmission is. Any help on that would be great. lol

It's riding against the aluminum disk that the pawl is in. Your first gear is spinning on it (or second gear... can't remember). It's part 4986 in the middle of this pic:

maxx-one-way.jpg

Alright, thanks olds97_lss. I hope this thread can answer any questions about stuff like shifting problems.

Later.

May I ask why it was necessary to make three different threads about your shifting problems while the other two were only a few days old? It just seems like a waste of bandwidth and a waste of time for readers to siftt hrough all of the diferent threads about the same thing or close to the same thing.

ADDAndy said:
May I ask why it was necessary to make three different threads about your shifting problems

You can ask however the proper thing to do is to report the post. At that time we can merge them or delete one.

Your question was nicely asked however we have seen this kind of question turn into a flame war in the past.

Thanks,
Ed

I am trying to adjust my 2 speed but when I do what it says (hold the spur and rotate the black shaft) the shift hub doesn't turn. Anyone know what's wrong?

Dude try this, look on e-bay for a new tranny. They usually sell for around 40$.

I am ready to buy a new tranny. I've had too many problems with this one, and now my engine seems to over heat...

Go electric. Thats the best advice I can't give you!!

Rider 414 said:
Go electric. Thats the best advice I can't give you!!

So your going to throw out the baby with the bath water?

Electrics are nice but if its a transmission or clutch issue it would be the same on an E-Maxx.

Given time and information this issue will be solved. Getting an electric isn't the proper answer.

Well ladies and gentlemen, the answer has come. It seems part number 4993 (the same as in an electric) has become rough and scratched. My guess is that it wasn't allowing the shift hub to spin down and get lower RPM's since it was puching against the one-way bearing. I just got back from my LHS and picked up a few other parts. Unfortunately I can't get back over to my LHS due to the fact that I have no vehicle now so I am gonna use some sand paper and shave down the shaft just to smooth it out. I will let you all know how it goes.

Later.

"Electrics are for the simple minded people..."

I really don't think your going to be able to get away with sanding it. That runs inside your one way bearing. If it isn't machine smooth, it's going to tear up your bearing in the trans. Your better off just to wait and get a new shaft. The bearing that I'm talking about is a $20 bearing (part # 4986) TransOneWay

Yep, I was inspecting the inside of that bearing and the bearing got torn up somehow and that's what scratched the shaft. I need to replace that bearing now and and the shaft. That's all the info I have as of now and I'm sure that this is what's been causing my shifting problem.

Later.

How do I get the one-way bearing out of the gear it's set in?

I have decided to use my old one-way bearing for my starter. I replaced it cause it was giving me trouble everynow and then but it still worked. It's better than my shot one in my tranny right now. But I need to know which direction I need to put the bearing into the metal gear now.

Back