Setting up a Heli TX questions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greywolf74

I'M TO BLAME!
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Ok, so I'm starting to get into this who Phoenix Sim thing but what I've gathered is 3D flyers have their TXs set up different than my Flysky 9X is set up. The way my TX is set up my left stick controls my rotor RPMs but from what I've seen watching youtube vids 3D flyers set their TXs so the Motor RPM is running max at all times (or close to max) and they control height with the left stick by altering positive and negative pitch.

My first question is, is there any reason not to set up my TX as a 3D flyer does and just learn how to fly like that in the first place since I have no desire to fly anything but 3D Helis eventually anyway?

Nest question is I have no idea what a lot of the stuff on my TX does in terms of the knobs and switches. I'm trying to force myself to read through the user manual but its slow going. (I have a hard time forcing myself to read technical manuals lol) Anyone know any good videos that explain bigger 7,8 or 9 channel TXs?

The switch is thrown for throttle hold when you want to do 3D. It's on the top left. That puts the rotor in constant high RPM and the neutral collective in the middle of the stick. The left stick is no longer changing the head speed but only changing the positive and negative collective.

3D flyers and normal flyers TX setup is roughly the same, what you are referring to is known as idle up, where the collective stick only controls pitch at that point, and the throttle (on and electric heli anyway to keep it simple), is generally running at 100% all the time.

You need to really understand your radio on a CP heli, I can't stress this enough. The video section at Helifreak I linked to in your other thread goes into great detail about radio setup, and what each funtion does as it relates to the heli. You may have to find that funtion in your particular radio, but for the most part, they're all roughly similar. Knowing your radio funtions can make the difference in having a CP heli that is extremely responsive and twitchy, vs having one that's tame and docile, and a pleasure to buzz around with.

My advice; start out flying in normal mode with a pitch curve of around -3 to +9, and a throttle curve of 0-35-50-75-80, that will tone it down quite a bit.

For idle up I run flat 85% throttle on woods, and 100% on carbons, and -12 to +12 on pitch.

It's taken me years to learn what little I know about CP helis, and I'm still learning.

---------- Post added at 12:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 PM ----------

The switch is thrown for throttle hold when you want to do 3D. It's on the top left. That puts the rotor in constant high RPM and the neutral collective in the middle of the stick. The left stick is no longer changing the head speed but only changing the positive and negative collective.

Throttle hold generally kills the motor on most peoples setups prior to impact, idle up is what you're referring to. :D

Throttle hold generally kills the motor on most peoples setups prior to impact, idle up is what you're referring to. :D
You're correct, and THAT switch is on the right. I don't have my transmitter here to refer to, but thanks for correcting me.

You're correct, and THAT switch is on the right. I don't have my transmitter here to refer to, but thanks for correcting me.

Throttle hold and I have had an intimate realitionship for many years now. :D I also use it on the ground before arming the system, and after landing to disarm the system.

It's also the switch you kill for practicing auto rotation landings so you'll still have full negative and positive collective on the left stick with the motor out.

Throttle hold is my best friend, saved me more then once from a total lose to just blades and feathering shaft.

It's also the switch you kill for practicing auto rotation landings so you'll still have full negative and positive collective on the left stick with the motor out.

The only heli I have that will auto is the 450, and I've been told it's a one shot deal on a heli that size. I can do it all day in the sim, haven't had the stones to try at the field, maybe this year. Even with all the crazy 3D stuff out there, a smooth, pinpoint auto is still my favorite move.

I'll have to look through the posts for the helifreak vid link you gave me before...Id had forgotten all about that actually but when you mentioned it it jarred my memory. I really have to figure out my TX. I have 3 switches and 1 know on the left top of my TX and 3 switches and 2 knobs on the right top. I really dont understand what any of them really do except the Throttle Hold.

After being able to hold a hover in all 4 directions, the next thing you HAVE to master is the auto rotation landing. Without knowing that, if you have a problem you'll be trying to land a brick.

Good to know....thanks for the heads up rolex. I have a feeling I'm gonna spend the rest of the year on the simulator before I'm ready to actually try and fly these things lol

Back