Servo rumpling sharply when applying brake

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaDoWShah

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
So my throttle/brake servo is working fine when you apply throttle, but when you hit the brake, the brake link isnt going that far back (hence not applying brakes) and also the servo gives off a sharp buzzing sound like the motor is cracking or something....

Help please.

Sounds like its missing a few teeth on one of the gears

transmited from a mobile communications device

Sounds like its missing a few teeth on one of the gears

What could have caused that?? I've had no crashes or anything, nothing like that.

Time, wear/tear... what servo is it and what vehicle is it in?

This is the make/model for the servo http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/power-hd/hd-3001hb

The servo is brand new, the old one had to be replaced which also busted for no apparent reason. The vehicle is the Thunder Tiger EB4 S3 1/8th scale buggy.
Its hardly been a week since this new servo was installed, so that really should take out any wear and tear or time issues. One day it was working fine, the next day it started making crazy sounds.

do you have a spring at your brake linkadge?

do you have a spring at your brake linkadge?

Yes, two little springs at the end of two connecting rods on the linkage...

That's a fairly weak servo for 1/8 scale. It may not last long either. I find that running 100oz+ torque servos that are metal geared last a lot longer for t/b duties on pretty much any rig. 1/8 buggies don't usually need a lot of torque for t/b due to the weight, multiple disks and lack of rotational mass, but that's still pretty weak.

If you disconnect the carb wire, what does it do? Does it still not apply brakes or move far enough to do anything? Usually with a new servo, mechanical/EPA adjustments may need to be made as servos don't all move the same distance.

You able to post up a photo of your linkage?

If you plan on replacing the T/B servo, Olds is right on the money about metal geared servos. I used the HiTec HS-5645MG to good effect on my X-Ray XB-8.

That's a fairly weak servo for 1/8 scale. It may not last long either. I find that running 100oz+ torque servos that are metal geared last a lot longer for t/b duties on pretty much any rig. 1/8 buggies don't usually need a lot of torque for t/b due to the weight, multiple disks and lack of rotational mass, but that's still pretty weak.

If you disconnect the carb wire, what does it do? Does it still not apply brakes or move far enough to do anything? Usually with a new servo, mechanical/EPA adjustments may need to be made as servos don't all move the same distance.

You able to post up a photo of your linkage?
17032013668.jpg

Forgive my ignorance, what is the carb wire? If you apply the brakes, it goes back just a little and not all the way, starts making cracking sounds and very very little brake is applied - close to none. It was working fine when we had the it fit in (the hobby shop we go to actually recommended this one for the buggy, I guess they could learn a thing or two).

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but PowerHD is no brand I'm familiar with so I'm assuming its a generic brand. Its analog on top of that instead of digital. Seems to me like they sold you a crappy servo. If it was working right when it was first installed and your 100% sure that you have you still have the linkages set properly then Id say the servo went belly up. You can try what Olds was suggesting and disconnect the linkage going to the carb and the try apply the brake and see if its still making the same noise. If it is since its only been a week Id take the servo back to the store and buy a good one like a Savox, Hitec, JR, Futaba or what have you.

Personally if your one a tight budget Id look at something like the Savox SC-0253MG Metal Gear Digital Servo or if you can swing another $9 Id get something more like the Savox SC-0254mg High Torque Standard Size Digital Servo.

Back