Servo Punisher 2000

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WickedFog

Starter of too many projects
Supporter
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Crawling
  3. Scale Builder
@Greywolf and I started designing a servo tester together, and it is going to be a pretty sick build. So we're starting this thread to show you the progress. Grey is taking care of the electrical side of things, and I am doing the mechanical design.

A little preview. The plate on the right is only a partial print. That pull sensor will be totally enclosed in a housing.
20220924_104913.jpg

Very interesting.

We still have some other components coming that still have to be modeled up but when its all said and done it should be awesome! You'll be able to not only pull torque measurements but also Amp draws too.

On top of that you'll be able to power it with anything that outputs 6-55V. So you can power it with a 12v or 24V power supply that most folks probably have for their LiPo chargers or you can power it with anything between a 2S & 12S LiPo. There will be a variable voltage dial so you can tune the voltage output to anything you want between 0-50V although most likely the only voltages you'll use are 6, 7.4, and 8.4 :)

So far the design will support standard, mini, and micro servos but we'll most likely have an optional mount for 1/5 scale servos too. We'll update this thread as we go and at the end we'll put up a demo video :)

Moved a few things around and started on the housing. Still waiting on a couple parts to arrive to finalize the housing and model up the faceplate.
Design 005.png

Modeled as far as I can go til more components show up.
Design 007 Front.png

Design 007 Back.png

Changed the design a bit and added some fans.
Design 008 Front.png

Design 008 Back.png

Last edited:
Got the housing design all finished. Just need to redo the servo mount. This has an XT60 input for power, can handle input from a 3s to 8s LiPo, or a 12v-24v power supply, or anything else up to 40v and 8A! It also has two auxiliary servo inputs on the face to test servos, and a servo input on the left side for plugging in the servos to be punished.

Basically, you bolt a servo in, fire the system up, and can load test the servo and get the pulling power displayed on the center LCD in grams or ounces. The left hand controller controls how many volts you are sending to the servo, and will also display the amp draw. The right hand unit is the servo controller and also displays the voltage being sent to the servo, with the two auxiliary servo outputs.
Design 009 FL.png

Design 009 FR.png

Design 009 BL.png

Design 009 BR.png

Last edited:
Were super stoked to get this thing built but we still have a lot of testing to do not to mention 3D printing :)

Is there any airflow vents on the backside? just curious, might not be an issue where you are, but heat is an issue here. Just wondering if the fan has enough fresh air to circulate.

I'm sure you guys have already thought of this, just don't see it in any of the pics, or maybe it's not really necessary. Just asking because I really don't know. Electronics are above my pay grade. 🤔

The components are only going to be pulling a max of about 8A, and only for brief moments. You won't want to punish the servo for more than a few seconds, so heat shouldn't be an issue at all. The fans are just there for "coolness" factor mostly 😉

Air will be pulled in by one fan, and exhausted by the other at the opposite end of the housing.