Servo help

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Undertaker

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
So my servo on my 1/16 slash stripped, and i'm trying to find a new one for it. I noticed that my particular servo is advertised as 180 degrees of travel, but it stops at about 90 degrees when it's in the car. If servos are so strong like they say, why don't they blaze past they're needed movement. I guess my question is do servos stop moving under pressure? This might be a silly question but i'm just befuddled looking at all these servos.

Last edited:
unlikely you have a 180 degree servo in ur slash..more than likely have a 90 at max. a servo will run its full half sweep only arms and links will stop it...

So I can buy any servo that has 360 degrees or under that fits the dimensions, and it will work?

Last edited:
No unless you have a radio that you can limit the endpoints.. so only a 90 degree will work..what radio do you use?

I use my Traxxas top qualifier.

The mechanical end of the steering will only go so far in either direction. You need to limit the travel of the servo as close as possible to that point. Beyond that you'll hear the servo strain, see the linkage strain and you'll burn it out.

thanks for all the help. another quick question, are all the slots/notches on top of every servo standardized?

Nope . 25/24/23/23h/21/ all over.seen some stock 1 use a square..find servo(most come with horns arms whatever you wanna call them..line old servo up to new 1 make sure the horn has hole where u need it.

Look up the servo and it will tell you how many splines there are. Then you can order the control arms with that number.

Thanks for all your help. If I need any more help on servos, I'll make sure to post it on this thread.

Great thread, and tons of info, just one more question. My original servo lasted about one month at most due to plastic gears. My new servo I'm going to get has metal gears. For the sake of justifying my purchase, On average how long do servos last?

add a Heavy duty servo saver and it should last many years.. its the sudden jolts that destroy servo gears .. get servo saver to match vehicles weight..some come in universal and different adapters for whatever servo you have.

I have servos that have lasted almost 15 years... Well, I haven't run those trucks since I built them but I don't know if that's the reason... :rolleyes:

Thanks Rolex, and tntpoof.:thumbs-up:

Back