Servo failure after 2 runs

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wittybebop

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hi all first question post, please be gentle.
I have a Corally Kronos (Brand New) and changed to a Radiolink RC6GS so I can slow the model down (now about 10mph), on our 2nd run we (me and son) drove it round a RC track nearby, it has a few small kerbs on it and after a slow speed bump against a kerb the steering went over full left, on stripping down at the side of the track the Steering Servo was seized solid, I spoke to the dealers who I bought it from and he said send the servo back to them which i've done.
I noticed when i plugged in the servo to the reciever it was drawing a lot of current (as the light on the reciever dimmed in pulses) but the servo was not moving, I removed the servo and tried to move the arm on it but stuck solid.
My question is why would this fail, the car surely would be able to absorb most impacts it does have a servo saver on it but this was a low speed bump.
I've had a RC Nitro in the past and it took some big crashes and never failed me but this has me stumped.
Any help/advise/recommendations appreciated.

It’s possible it was just a faulty servo, it has happened to a buddy of mine with a brand new 25kg Savox, it rare but can happen.
Did you set the EPA for the steering with the new transmitter? (Sorry, end point adjustment)
As it was brand new, it’s also possible that the horn on the servo wasn’t tight and slipped when it got bumped, this could mean the servo was already at max travel when the steering was at its end point, which would give the same current drain, it can’t recentre because the steering assembly is stopping it.
Rather than send it back next time undo the servo horn from the servo and pull it off, turn the car off and then back on, the servo will center itself again and you can put the horn back on with the wheels straight. You may have already done that, not sure?

I set EPA for throttle to slow car, but I don’t think I touched the EPA for steering do you think that’s caused it?

It’s possible, the steering on the new transmitter could have been trying to make the servo keep turning when the steering movement of the car was already maxed out. That can burn a servo out pretty quickly.

Oh well I guess that’s it then I’ll wait and see if they send me another meanwhile I’m going to get another one quick and then hopefully have a spare.
Well you live and learn stupid newbie mistake

check servo saver its the screw ontop of red collar behind A arm pivot..Id go into radio options and adjust epa on whatever you put in..and dont hit the rails on a track or curbs..

check servo saver its the screw ontop of red collar behind A arm pivot..Id go into radio options and adjust epa on whatever you put in..and dont hit the rails on a track or curbs..
Thanks, Servo saver is ok I think my mistake is when I put in the new receiver etc, I set the throttle epa but not steering I just thought it was plug and play, the reason I set the throttle up was so my son can drive it without going flat out, never thought to check steering and as Steve5c wrote it may have been getting too much signal and burnt out.

Thanks, Servo saver is ok I think my mistake is when I put in the new receiver etc, I set the throttle epa but not steering I just thought it was plug and play, the reason I set the throttle up was so my son can drive it without going flat out, never thought to check steering and as Steve5c wrote it may have been getting too much signal and burnt out.

Burning the servo up is quite common with people who are use to having servo savers. For those that are not aware, the steering end point adjustment, EPA, is how far your servo travels to each side when you turn it. You should adjust it so the servo will stop right before you reach the tires reach their max turning point. This adjustment is on your transmitter. If your servo is trying to turn your tires and your tires are not turning, this will burn up the motor. It's like stopping any other electric motor. It will eventually burnup and fail.

Hi all thanks for the replies I’ve put a new servo in now a Power HD LW25MG 25kg it performs great ?? But.... I have 2 questions now, when I’ve set the EPA I take it you turn the wheels till max (you can hear a little high pitch coming from the servo at full lock) then reduce the end point until it stops the high pitch?
Also the servo came with a capacitor that you plug into a spare channel on the receiver does it matter which channel and do the make any difference?
Again kind regards for any help/info.

Hi all thanks for the replies I’ve put a new servo in now a Power HD LW25MG 25kg it performs great ?? But.... I have 2 questions now, when I’ve set the EPA I take it you turn the wheels till max (you can hear a little high pitch coming from the servo at full lock) then reduce the end point until it stops the high pitch?
Also the servo came with a capacitor that you plug into a spare channel on the receiver does it matter which channel and do the make any difference?
Again kind regards for any help/info.

That is correct on the steering. You turn the wheels until they stop then adjust them until you start to see the wheels turn the other direction. As soon as you see the wheels start to go the other direction, set it there. For the cap, it doesn't matter which one you plug it into. they all meet together.

?? Thanks a lot, big learning curve for me atm

?? Thanks a lot, big learning curve for me atm

Like I always say, "Experience comes from learning from failures, whether yours or others. Experience doesn't come from years of exposure."

Great news I sent it back to the shop and they sent out another servo under wty ??????

It’s possible it was just a faulty servo, it has happened to a buddy of mine with a brand new 25kg Savox, it rare but can happen.
Did you set the EPA for the steering with the new transmitter? (Sorry, end point adjustment)
As it was brand new, it’s also possible that the horn on the servo wasn’t tight and slipped when it got bumped, this could mean the servo was already at max travel when the steering was at its end point, which would give the same current drain, it can’t recentre because the steering assembly is stopping it.
Rather than send it back next time undo the servo horn from the servo and pull it off, turn the car off and then back on, the servo will center itself again and you can put the horn back on with the wheels straight. You may have already done that, not sure?
Hello and one other thing to check besides mentioned above would be servo voltage if servo can't handle the voltage set on your esc you can burn up servo fairly fast how u remedy this in future is a bec added to your esc

Back