Sensored vs. Non-sensored Brushless.

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ohmygahitscoby

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I see that Novak other BL brands use sensored motors. I was wondering what the sensored motors and ESC do to the motor/ESC. I'm running Castle Creations, which isn't sensored, but it works fine for me. Just wanna see what benefits sensored has.

i am a big fan of sensored setups because the throttle response is soo much smoother. The only problem is that novak is the frontrunner for sensored setups and i don't care for them. I believe it monitors rotor position so it knows where to apply power. Its kind of like a throttle position sensor i guess. It knows where its at and it bases its next move on that. Is that as clear as mud?

Sensored setups are great but until Novak develops better gear, i am sticking with castle.

Ohh okay. I don't want to go for Novak either because I've heard they don't really have good systems. Anybody try Speed Passion motors/ESCs?

I have a Speed Passions GT ESC and 13.5 motor. They run as well as my LRP Sphere TC set-up. The nice thing about the SP ESC is the handheld programmer. It's really easy to use compared to pushing buttons and counting lights on the LRP.

What type of rig are you going to run your brushless set-up in?

Well basically I wanted to get a good drift set-up for my TT01, so I was thinking of getting a 4600kv Sidewinder motor. My 5700kv is for some reason glitching, so I have to test if it's the ESC or the motor first. I saw the Speed Passions motor and ESC set, and was really interested. I was at my LHS earlier and they were talking about a Speed Passions brushless set being shipped into them, so that may be a decision for me.

Experiment with the settings on your sidewinder ESC first. Brushless motors seldom have hiccups unless the magnets have been overheated, or if ESC settings are completely out of whack. What packs are you using?

Although I have yet to find anything on the web, I believe there is a problem either with Castle's 5700 motor, or possibly just a bad batch, but my father has a new sidewinder setup and it is glitching as well. There is a couple of guys at my LHS complaining of the same thing. All three motors were bought over the summer at realatively the same time. Now it could just be chance, and I am not trying to start a controversy, but there could be a problem with components on that motor. I have an email into Castle as well as the others at the LHS. Haven't heard anything yet. My father is running his in T4 and I have tried his batterys, my matched packs and it does not seem to make a difference either way. I have checked spurs, pinions, slippers, and ball diffs and all seem to be ok. I have even swaped out parts one at a time, and I can't seem to find any fault other than the motor itself. The only other thing I have not tried is the Castle Link which I do not own, nor a different Castle speedo which I also do not have access to. Other than that I can't figure out what could be causing the issue.

What are your settings on the ESC? Every Castle setup I have run required some tweaking to the ESC to make it run to it's potential. A Castle Link cable is well worth the investment.

What are your settings on the ESC? Every Castle setup I have run required some tweaking to the ESC to make it run to it's potential. A Castle Link cable is well worth the investment.

I am running the standard 100% forward, 100% braking. This is the Sidewinder Motor Speedo/combo. Well I guess I should say my father is running this setup. I can't talk my father into the link, and besides he does not use a computer anyway, and does not want to for that matter. Maybe I will just have to order one. What exactly can you do with the castle link?

I love my Castle stuff. I had a 4600 sidewinder in my T4 and a 6900 mamba max in a Stampede. I absolutely loved them. I didn't have any problem at all with glitching or cogging when they were set up properly. I currently own four mamba max ESC's, a sidewinder ESC, and a mamba 25 ESC, and in my opinion the Castle Mamba Max ESC is the best on the market.

I am running the standard 100% forward, 100% braking. This is the Sidewinder Motor Speedo/combo. Well I guess I should say my father is running this setup. I can't talk my father into the link, and besides he does not use a computer anyway, and does not want to for that matter. Maybe I will just have to order one. What exactly can you do with the castle link?

With the Castle link, you can fine tune your throtle curve, initial power on throttle, brake %, forward %, reverse %, everything to do with that engine you can fine tune.

Tom the settings that you can adjust with the castle link are endless. Besides the braking and throttle curves, punch control, drag brake, start power, motor timing, motor type, arming type, low voltage cutoff, throttle dead band, and some other features. You can also change things like forward reverse, forward to brake to reverse, the possibilities go on and on into space. I think if the Mamba Max was $200, and the Castle Link was $100, and a comparable Novak (which there isn't but just for the speaking point we'll say there is) was $50, I think the mamba max would definitely be worth it. The mamba max comes with the USB cable and you don't need the Castle Link programmar like on the sidewinder, but I think it's definitely a good deal to go along with the sidewinder. They've been selling on the RC forums for around $10 used with shipping. Might check around before buying a new one.

Last edited:
Sounds like something I may need to look into picking up.... for whomever is going to carry on my legacy! :)

For all that they do, they are very cheap.

Back