Seeking replacement shock advice for TA RTRs (Pro2 SC10 and Trophy Rat)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeardRub

Eastbound and Down
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
  5. Flying
Hello chums and chumettes. I'm hoping a wiser person can point me in the right direction for shocks. The short of it is I am looking for a full set of replacement shocks for these trucks (TA Pro2 SC10 and TA Trophy Rat), but the things I've grabbed at local hobby shops don't fit properly and have far less shock stroke than the stock TA shocks. Stock info:

Front Free Length: 86.25mm - Front Stroke: 26mm
Rear Free Length: 103.5mm - Rear Stroke: 35mm

Sadly the stock TA shocks appear to be the old version, and in order to get replacements I'd need to buy each individual part and build them. I don't mind that too much, but the cost of the full shopping list is near the RTR, which makes it hard to justify. I've been looking at Pro-Line shocks meant for other vehicles, just looking for the right Free Length and Stroke (as TA calls the distance from hole-center to hole-center and the total travel of the piston).

I've already used and destroyed some Yeah Racing shocks, and a few sets of nameless "hobby shop wall" shocks. Due to the shorter stroke I think they are just being beat to hell when I bottom out.

I got the Pro2 with all busted shocks in the box, and didn't have the knowledge or the magic wrench to disassemble them without destroying them. With the Trophy Rat purchase I've now at least got a set to try and rebuild (and TA Customer Support sent me a wrench off their desks, how cool are they?), but I'm stuck swapping shocks between trucks if I want them to run right, so ideally I'll be able to get newer shocks with readily available parts. I'm wondering if it makes sense to grab shocks that are about the right stroke and try to match length with the little rod-end bits. I've seen some kits include +2mm or +5mm shock ends. Currently I'm thinking I should err on the side of too long to avoid destroying more shocks, so that the chassis shares the slaps.

Any advice is most welcome.

I would just probably grab the Powerstrokes. They are said to fit the SC10.

I would just probably grab the Powerstrokes. They are said to fit the SC10.
Thanks, I think I'll have to at least try it. I'm gun shy because the compatibility gets super cluttered between the SC10 and the Pro2 SC10, as they don't use the same parts. SC10, per TA, is the older, discontinued truck with yet another part number for the shocks. The Pro2 SC10 is the RTR from about 2018.

The Rat, Pro2, "pro sc10" (is that the 4wd?) and the Reflex DB10 are the "new" SC10 chassis with various bumpers installed. They say they share parts with a race buggy, I think, but after downloading eight manuals I got lost in the sauce trying to compare part numbers. However I can confirm that they are not an SC10, the SC10 without "pro" before it is another vehicle with different shocks. This is why I'm working on lengths rather than claimed compatibility.

I've already been burned by parts for the SC10 that are, in fact, not for the Pro 2 SC10. I'm wondering if there is some other designation I should be looking for. The manual is labeled as "Series 5 RTR", but I never see that as a compatible chassis.

PN for SC10s are 7040 - 7044. "Series 5 RTR" PNs are 70015 - 70019 and 90040. Maybe I can use these to check compatibility somewhere?

At any rate, I appreciate your suggestions.

Ahh, well, some research may be needed then. I am not familiar with that one, and I know how much of a pain it can be to get the right shocks. Sometimes it's just best to buy them all ;)

But Pro-Line also sells various mounting sets I believe, to aid in using shocks on other vehicles.

When all else fails, you might just have to download all the manuals and try to compare.

TLR 22SCT 2.0 or 3.0 shocks. Look on ebay. Best shocks I've ever used. Very smooth!

Back