Savage X 4.6 or Associated MGT 4.60?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7kings

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Okay, so now I'm getting ready to make my next purchase - a 1/8 monster truck for bashing (no racing, just bashing) and I've settled on (I think) two contenders - the Savage X 4.6 and the Associated MGT 4.60 SE. I'm looking for input from folks who have experience with them.

1. Noise - I've heard that both the Savage X and the MGT are incredibly loud, but not sure what this means exactly. Are we talking weed whacker levels? Louder? Is the Savage louder than the MGT, or vice-versa?

2. Durability - Everything I've read seems to indicate that they're both very robust trucks, with the Savage perhaps edging out the MGT in this area.

3. Ease of maintenance - I've heard that the Savage is more difficult to work on than the MGT. Is this accurate?

4. Performance - Does the Savage outrun or otherwise outperform the MGT, or the other way around? Are they too close to call?

I'm trying to weigh the fact that the Savage is almost $100 more than the MGT against the real-world comparisons between them to help me decide.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

The savage is defentaly more durable but the mgt is eaiser to work on, I have both trucks. Their are about the same noise. The savage x will smoke the mgt in a drag race and it handles jumps better, but i have herd a FOC kit will help a lot since the mgt has reverse. If you want wheelies go with the X. The savage also has a lot more aftermarket support. Goodluck with the choice!!

Last edited:
Thanks guys - unfortunately I'm still undecided (which is probably a good thing, as it means they are pretty comparable). If that's the case, I may decide to let the wallet do the talking, as the MGT is about $90 cheaper than the Savage...

I guess you wont know until it arrives. Looks in good condition though.

Looks like a decent deal. Only downsides i could possibly see are the break in procedure (I'd prefer to do it myself), and the lack of bulletproof diffs (should be ok on nitro if shimmed).

Either way the savage is a tough truck with quite a bit of aftermarket support not to mention alot of interchangeability between models.

Sent from my crappy DROIDX via Tapatalk

Is it the rtr or the ss? It has ss stickers, but its not got the steel brake discs.

Is it the rtr or the ss? It has ss stickers, but its not got the steel brake discs.

The listing says it's an SS, but I don't know for sure. How can I tell (after I receive it, of course)?

It looks like it has the correct wheels and muffler for the SS, but other than that...

Last edited:
The listing says it's an SS, but I don't know for sure. How can I tell (after I receive it, of course)?

It looks like it has the correct wheels and muffler for the SS, but other than that...

Shiny non-hd bones and cups iirc

The auction says he upgraded the brakes to fiberglass. Is that a typical upgrade for the Savage X SS?

The auction says he upgraded the brakes to fiberglass. Is that a typical upgrade for the Savage X SS?

Its the best savage brake setup IMO. I still use em on my bl conversion

Its the best savage brake setup IMO. I still use em on my bl conversion

That's good to know - I'm completely ignorant of the ways of monster trucks and hope I end up with a good setup here without immediately having to dump some money into it.

Back