savage spur gear/clutch bell issues (video question)

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liktheofna

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
savage spur gear/clutch bell issues updated

well I was hoping to post a video question to help everyone understand exactly what I'm talking about. The spur gear and the clutch bell on my Savage 25 are not lining up causing one side of the spur gear to wear very quickly. I will try to post some pictures in the next few minutes to help you understand what I mean. thanks guys

Last edited:
One side? Do you mean the teeth are wearing more towards the front or rear of the spur or that it's wearing in a particular spot?

If it's a front vs rear and is consistent all around the spur, it sounds like your engine is cockeyed a bit.

If it's a particular spot on the spur, then that would suggest your input shaft into the trans is bent. You should be able to see a wobble when you spin it by hand. A hair bit of wobble is ok, but it should spin pretty true.

Just by watching the vid it looks like you need a new spur, also change that flywheel, it's the problem with you spur and clutch bell teeth not lining up. Your flywheel seems to have a spacer milled onto it/into it, my flywheels all have flat faces except where the clutch pads sit. not sure what that uses for a collet, so be sure to get one of those as well

Look into scooping up an HPI hardened steel spur gear they last a good while they are a tad more expensive. You could buy 4 stock plastic spurs for the price of one HPI steel spur

Also make sure you grab the one piece, HPI used to make an interchangeable spur and they fall apart if you don't use enough loctite.

Last edited:
Back