Savage lrp.32 keeps running away!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daryl1989

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
Hi all.

I have fitted my brand new lrp.32 into my savage ss.

Bought new clutch all fitted as watching youtube videos now put into my car.

Only problem I have is when I'm trying to get the car to tick over it wants to go and the engine is under loads. If I pull it off the floor it try revving right out. Any ideas?

Thankyou in advance

Attachments

• 20160423_232354.jpg
    20160423_232354.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 227
When you pull the pullstarter the car will drive forward?

If that is the case you didn't assemble the clutch correctly.

Hi caretaker thanks for your reply.

No I can pull the pullstart all day long and the car dosnt try to move it's as soon as the engine starts that it tries to pull forward.

Idle is set too high probably because the engine isn't broken in yet. ;)
clutch springs might be too thin

Ok mate i will try turning the idle screw down and seeing if that makes a difference.

I bought an uprated ally clutch but do you know if there are specific spring rates or a harder spring that may be better?

Most people advise 1.0 or 1.1 mugen springs. Especially with these powerhouses..

Ok brilliant ill order some. Thankyou again dude

NP m8.

Most shoe sets come with 3 sets of different springrates.. What set did you get??

That's what I got mate. Dosnt say the size of the spring. Should of asked before I bought It really.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2016-04-24-17-01-42.png
    Screenshot_2016-04-24-17-01-42.png
    343.2 KB · Views: 165
Hmm. Strange..

Mostly there are 3 types of springs. Silver, Gold and Black.

Do you have a digital caliper? If they are 1.1mm they will do fine. If they are 0.9mm you need thicker springs.

No I don't have anything like that to measure them but I will get hold of one and measure them up. The 1.1 are only £4 so if I'm not sure I'll just buy the others to be safe.

Please correct me if I'm wrong. Iv marked flywheel at piston bdc. Going to warm it up to temp them let cool down 4 times leaving it sat at piston bdc each time.

2 tanks on tick over. 2 tanks on partial throttle then gradually build it up.

Sounds about right. After a couple tanks, I usually drive it gently on pavement by slowly increasing the throttle and letting off at about 1/2-3/4 throttle. Usually they are so rich and unseated that the RPM's don't get that high, but it allows the engine to warm up and stay warm. Once I'm at 220F or so, I shut down, put the piston at bdc and let it rest until it's around 80F, then I do this again for a couple tanks. Then I start driving it a bit more and leaning it a bit more because by tank 4-5, things are settling in a bit and I lean it to get the rpm's up. I'll usually run a full tank or two while keeping it at temp and running, then let it rest again.

I don't let them sit and idle anymore. If your LRP is anything like the 3 I've had, it won't fully calm down and hold a good tune until you have 3/4 gallon or more through it. Around the 1 gallon mark, it should really start putting down power and becoming very stable at temps and require little fiddling of tune.

If your just breaking in, I'm guessing the idle is erratic and probably high due to the carb settings, so your clutch will engage when off the ground and want to walk away from you when on teh ground. Let it go. Keep the RPM's up enough to have the clutch engaged, then you won't melt the shoes. After you get more fuel through it, you may be able to adjust the idle down enough so it isn't trying to walk on you, but if it is, then you can get stiffer springs.

Awesome, thank's for that mate I'd rather just let it move freely tbh, makes things a lot easier then like you said adjust the idle screw after its done a few tanks.

I'm considering getting some stronger springs but ill run it in this weekend, let you know how I get on and see if I have too.

Looks like I'll be doing another break-in hopefully this weekend as well. Gave up an a bothersome engine (LRP28S3) in my savage and just ordered a LRP Z30 for it. The 28 was more power than I needed, so figured wasting another $40 on the 32 wasn't necessary. I've had 5 LRP 28's and the other 4 all ran/tuned great, but this one regardless what I do to it just never really ran right. Only has a couple gallons through it... at least I have spare parts for my other 2 now.

Keep us posted on yours.

Oh awesome, do you rate the 28 over the 32 then? I read alot of people say the 28 are better.

Is that idle setting about right do you recon?

Attachments

• 20160427_082455.jpg
    20160427_082455.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 173
Oh awesome, do you rate the 28 over the 32 then? I read alot of people say the 28 are better.
Is that idle setting about right do you recon?
Your idle is a little wide, but dropping the idle down on an engine when your breaking in can be tough.

I don't know whether the 32/30/28 is better or worse than the other. I've only seen a 30X (I think) in an LST2. The guy bought the 30X, then bought the 30 crank/backplate/starter. Still not sure why he did that other than the "posted" numbers of the 30X is marginally higher than the normal 30 with a PS. IMHO, the higher RPM of the X is probably attributed to it not dragging the OWB, so buy putting the 30 OWB/crank/backplate on it, he more than likely just paid way too much for the normal 30. Then again, the 30X is a 7 port whereas the normal 30 is a 5 port. So, the 30X probably has more power in the upper RPM's, which is kind of useless on something like the LST2... even after discussing it with him, he still went the way he did and enjoyed the wheelies anyway. lol

I only didn't buy the 32 because it was more expensive, and honestly, the 28 had plenty of power for the savage, if it ran right. I was able to get the 30 a few $ cheaper on ebay than the 28 and a little more torque can't be too bad of a thing even if I do lose a few RPM's off the top. I mean, it's going into an MT that has spent 98% of it's life running through grass, so my 28 was never seeing peak RPM anyway. The 30 is obviously higher in cc's but it's also a 5 port engine vs the 8 port of the 28R. So, it will most definitely have more low end torque... which I didn't really need. I think the 28 just put a bad taste in my mouth and buying the 30 for $171 shipped vs the 28 for ~$180 shipped will help me forget the pain.

Yes mate I'm on my last tank of running in and it seems like an animal already. Just a touch of throttle and she's on her back wheels. I think you got unlucky with your .28 imho. We shall see if the .32 is a bit too much.

Back