Sand rails rule!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RushRC

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
A friend of mine live on the lake and the lake is like really really low and there is now a beach and a few isalnds you can ride 4 wheelers out to. One of his neighbors has a whole lotta toys!!(no rc stuff yet). We went over there and he has in his 3 car garage 3 sand rails. I went for a ride in one - HOLY SHIZ!
This thing has a turboed honda vtec running 25 pounds of boost - he said 800HP. I dont think I have ever been that fast on land in a open cockpit vehicle. When it it hit 4200 rpm the turbo goes from 5psi to 25psi and it was OMG!!:OMG: FAST

His bigger rail has the same HP but a blown corvette LS1 motor. He said its nuts too and I will have to take his word on it.

Might be a dumb question, but whats a sand rail??

I have never ridden in one, but when i see them pulling wheelies down the entire beach, or as far as i can see, i know they have to be fun!!! I have seen em getting some good air off of some dunes as well... I wanna build one some day... They are expensive as hell to buy prebuilt!

Thats awesome Bruce! I'd love a ride in one of those, 25 psi is pretty crazy.

Wow! Them things are awesome as hell!! Basically a enclosed dune buggy right? I dont think we have any beaches big enough here in Mn. to run one, but man would they be awesome in the mud..

cool. that thing must have been a neck breaker. from 5 to 25 psi. try to get a video put together. that would be sweet.

Sand rails are cool as hell.If i had the money i would love to make on with a diesel even though it might be a little heavy i know it would fly.The Cummins will produce 30-35 psi of boost stock,if you spend a bit of money you can get it to hit 65-70 psi of boost I have seen some hit 80 psi of boost. If anything i would like to build on someday even with just a gasser engine.

Jeff

My grandfather own's a rail,i drove his,Shortback VW shooting around 190-200hp,And it's more than enough power to do anything and everything I've came across,even scared myself once when i tried putting it wide open and it started to lift the front end off the sand and tried planeing.I wouldn't want a massive v-8,too much weight,a 4 banger will a lot of work done to it,will do anything,if you can shove 400hp into a 4banga,then your bound to kill yourself.v-8's are really only good for looks,the idea is to stay light,not heavy.

I agree on the V-8 being to heavy,but i was leaning more towards a Cummins which is a I-6 engine that would still be to heavy since it weighs in around i thinl 1500#.It would be cool to find the little 4cyl Cummins engines that they produce to drop it in a sand rail...

nitroking said:
I agree on the V-8 being to heavy,but i was leaning more towards a Cummins which is a I-6 engine that would still be to heavy since it weighs in around i thinl 1500#.It would be cool to find the little 4cyl Cummins engines that they produce to drop it in a sand rail...

I dunno if i would want a diesel,That's a lot of torque,wich running the rpms you wouldn't really need,that and your usually revving,around 1500-to whatever your redline is,unless that diesel could perform like a normal gas engine,it really wouldn't be worth it,your not pulling anything,and it would be annoying,hearing a diesel rev constantlly would drive me up the wall,my grandpa's rail is loud,i can't imagine a diesel would be quiter,and there's usually DB levels that you have to meet up to.

Back