SAAB Story

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumboldtBlazer

RCTalk VIP
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Here is a story of a dumb kid who fell in love with a turbo charger and the car rapped around it. I bought my first Saab after my uncle bought a 1990 900 turbo and he let me drive it. It was over. I don't know if you ever heard the commercial most people who test drive a Saab turbo buy it, or something real close to that. Anyways point being I was hooked, and needed my own.

I bought a 1987 9000T. Now your saying wow man 80's cars sucked, am I right? Well the did suck but only in the US and Japan. Europe was literally 10 years ahead of their time with automobiles. Now you all american guys don't get your panties in a ruffle I am not US bashin here we can all admit that some of the finer things come from Europe. We had a gas crisis and hence the poopy cars that came out in the 80's. Anyways I am going off of my story my 1987 9000 turbo. Charcole grey, all leather interior. Heated seats man it had the works. Get this it had sensors that would know if my windows and mirrors were frosty and it would heat them until I could see and shut themselves off automatically, and all this poop still worked when I bought it. I think I paid $1800 for it from a couple and he wanted 3k but couldn't sell it so he took my offer.

I beat the hell out of this car and drove it until I crashed it. I thought I was Jerry the race car driver in 5:00 traffic and I smashed the front end. Well I fixed some of it and drove it for awhile until the engine blew up (head gasket). So like an idiot I pay for a new engine and turbo. So I drive it around with this new engine and turbo even faster and beat the living hell out of it until the front bearings screamed for me to park it and not drive it or they said they would fall off. So I bought a Honda and parked it. At one point I tried to sell it but I didn't like the people that came to buy it. I know it sounds weird but I wanted her to go to someone that would appreciate her. So I kept it.

So She sat for one and a half years with one of the back windows down 1 inch for the whole time because the battery was dead and I was mad at her so I didn't bother jump staring it to roll up the window. Served her right. poop I was out 8 large for a new engine and all the poop that went with it and to only drive it for less than 10,000 miles, ooh she deserved it alright. So I have been doing this RC thing feeling pretty damn mechanically inclined. Also I been painting like a mofo and getting comfortable with an air brush. So I decide hell lets do it. Old men have their "classics" well hell isnt something from the 80's already a classic? I know Breakfast Club and 16 Candels were classics and they were from the 80's. I am rebuilding the entire car interior and all. Now this no easy task espicall since I am going to make it identical to a 88 Talladega which was a RARE model as Saab's regular models are rare in the US. A 9000 Talladega was inspired by my car the 1987 Saab 9000 Turbo for setting the worlds longest high speed run for a production car (I think they still hold it). Plus I figure I already have the Talledega Steering wheel anyways so poop why not.

HEre is what it will look like when done (but better).

I have some pics of my project so far so I will get them posted here and keep updating as I progress.
basse_talladega1.jpg

basses_9000talladega_stor3.gif

3.jpg
that last one is most like mine, color and all.

Last edited:
that last pic the most updated one? if so, i like the spg wheels, good factory look.

how did u manage to get the rear decklid reflectors so bright? those thigns used to fade after only a couple of years

You got caught NA you skimmed. I said those weren't my car, here is mine hehe

saab2.jpg

saab3.jpg

saab4.jpg

saab5.jpg

saab6.jpg

saab7.jpg

saab8.jpg

saab9.jpg

saab10.jpg

saab11.jpg

are those big enough?

jesus man, those take up my entire screen. and its 24"

WOW. That looks like a major undertaking. When would you like to have that completed. Or are you planning on taking your time?

Side note....What kind of digicam did you use to take these pics?

DAMN HB! Thats alot of work! little confused though, are the top pictures the way the car looks now? or are the huge pics the way it looks right now? I hope you are young.healthy,dedicated and extremely patient cuz that project is gonna take some serious time! good luck! can't wait to see it done!

The top pictures of of what it will look like with the Taladega ground effects and back paneling that my model doesn't have. I am aspiring for it to look like the above models, where as the huge pictures are the current state today as I work on it. I have big plans and this will take a year or better as money and time allows. Wait until you see the piant job I am going to do!!!! Sorry about the size, just built a new home PC and have nothing but paint on it as far as picture editing.

Back