Rustler 4x4 VXL input shaft movement

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevenMax

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
I recently purchased a rustler 4x4 VXL and I love it. I have noticed my spur gear slipper assemble and the whole I put shaft can slightly move back and forth between the rear diff and the motor plate bearing the come sleeve goes in to. It has about 2-3mm of movement, it will slightly pull the bearing out of the motor mount enough to see it. Nothing is broken all bearings are good etc but I do wonder about this being normal tolerances or not. It seems that if I put some sort of shin on the end of the shaft then goes in to the rear diff it would fill that movement gap, of even a slightly thicker bearing, one that sticks out of the motor mount slightly.

My hope is this is normal and nothing to worry about or maybe I got a bum i put shaft length. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Pretty sure that's normal. It allows for chassis flex when you crash or land a big jump. If there wasn't any slop, the center shaft would bend. It's that way on the stampede as well.

I took a video after I installed the new upgraded metal collar and bearing from Traxxas. Everything’s right and the car drives just fine. I took a video to show what I’m talking about. It has to be normal I can see nothing else that would be loose. Only had the truck a few weeks too.

Oh, that's moving... what motor mount/spur mount are you running? I don't think mine moves that much, but I'm running a FLM center diff cup vs the OEM slipper and king headz motor mount/diff mount that runs a larger bearing. I can't get at mine without taking the center cover off, so I can't check for sure. Might be worth putting some shims on it to remove some of the slop.

I am running the Traxxas 7460R motor mount and the factory spur. I also have the Traxxas anodized collar and bearing. I called Traxxas on the phone and they said they are going to send me a new slipper shaft, maybe for some reason it was made too short. Car drives and sounds fine though but the lashing moves when at full throttle

After some internet reading I see plenty of other people have noticed this, basically, some shims between the spur gear bearing and the collar are the fix. That’s also a safe spot I would say. Reason being those will only spin when the clutch slips aside from the entire assembly, so they should not wear or get too hot and melt. Some people put shims on the end of the shaft to press on the differential bearing but have heat issues. Heading to the hobby shop today for shims to see what I can do!

5mm shaft shims did the trick, I stacked up about 6-7 of them and ran fine all day. Slipper worked nicely and there’s no play.

I took a video after I installed the new upgraded metal collar and bearing from Traxxas. Everything’s right and the car drives just fine. I took a video to show what I’m talking about. It has to be normal I can see nothing else that would be loose. Only had the truck a few weeks too.

I'm having the same thing can you show me a video of how it now.and where you installed It I'm picturing a rough idea in my head but wanna be sure

I'm having the same thing can you show me a video of how it now.and where you installed It I'm picturing a rough idea in my head but wanna be sure
How it is now is basically no movement at all. I believe put 6-7 shims in between the bearing of the spur and the metal cone collar (stock plastic). Cars still going all this time later no issues at all

Back