Running in beach sand?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitch

RCTalk Qualifier
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I may be bashing my Arrma Vorteks or WLtoys 124017 v2 (arriving soon) at the beach this weekend, here’s my list of things to buy and bring to prevent damage:

CorrosionX (WD40 alternative)
Compressed Air
Unused paintbrush
Vacuum

Anything else I need? Should I expect damage if I only run on the moist sand near the water (but not in the water)?

every opening. Id avoid sand at all cost. especially wet sand.. that's a bearing killer motor destroyer. Gear sander. it will be a endless sand removal process.

I have no personal experience running RC on the beach but I know what salt water will do to most metals. If it were me, Id take the whole kit apart and coat every piece of metal with corrosion X. Id also coat the Screws, bearings, the insides of the electronics, the insides of the motor, drive shafts (if metal), and anything else made of metal.

EDIT: after further consideration, I personally wouldnt run any of my RCs around salt water but if I did, Id be doing the above.

P.S. Also, while I know Corrosion X is safe for electronics, I've never used it on bearings or motors so consider this a disclaimer :)

Also, if youve never used Corrosion X, it can be pretty messy to work with.

Last edited:
No disclaimers here just Don't Do it you will be Soooo Sorry ..

A lot of people take their RC's to the sand dunes in the desert, but personally I'd be afraid too. At the very least I would have a complete extra set of bearings on hand. Don't know how to keep sand out of the motor though.

A lot of people take their RC's to the sand dunes in the desert, but personally I'd be afraid too. At the very least I would have a complete extra set of bearings on hand. Don't know how to keep sand out of the motor though.
I saw a video where he had a cover fo rhis motor i dont remember the video since it was a few days ago though

You can buy chassis covers, or for rear motor RC's you can wrap the motor with pantyhose to keep stuff out of it. If I lived near sand dunes you can bet your butt I'd have me a couple sand rail buggies. But I'd never take my rc's near salt water without tearing them completely apart after a run.
@Tunedpipe runs his stuff on sand dunes. Maybe he has some tips.

I have a compressor in the shop and used it every time I run at the dunes.
Dust socks work for the most part but unfortunately even a closed up solid house has a way with collecting dust.
I haven't had any issues yet with bearings but that's not saying I won't. Sand can be killer on everything but I am not a quitter...:p
Personally I wouldn't run it near the ocean because salt will definitely eat stuff up.
Honestly, it's never bothered me to have to buy parts and replace them because I love wrenching on them.
On the other hand, I don't break much on the sand. Nice soft landing and there's nothing better than a huge rooster tail out on the sand.
Definitely clean it soon after running or you will run into some $$$.

Last edited:
The only time I do NOT bash in sand is when I drive 27 miles to a clay track.

I live in Florida. We have sand everywhere. The entire state is sand. If you dig down far enough, below the sand, you find more sand.