running batteries in parallel

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craig911

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
hey guys,

I run a 6V in the savage and a 4.8V in my tamiya TGS

while i was in the tub i had a thought of using both of my 6V hump packs in my savage. also could if anyone has some info on a external radio/battery box that would be appreciated

i did a little research on this but wanted your input

mainly due to combat high current/amp draw from the servos/lights and also longer run time before charging. (primarily to combat voltage drop/brownouts)

i tested it out using a voltage tester and using a Y cable got 6V from dual packs

To reiterate i'm thinking of parallel so 2x6V 1500MAH = 6V 3000MAH
connecting_parallel.gif

Not series 2X6V 1500MAH = 12V 1500MAH
connecting_series.gif

also doing some research i should be fine charging both packs in parallel

so charging, instead of being on charge for roughly 7 hours =1.5A on my multi charger ( RX TX glow stick )
i can put both packs on over night for a 15 hour charge so there ready when i need them on a planned day out etc,

as my charger does not switch to a trickle charge when the batteries are full it also means that i can charge my batteries overnight without the risk of over charging and damaging the cells

what are your thoughts on using a dual 4.8/6V hump pack

my thinking on this was more on if you have lots of lights on your rig etc so less work for a single battery pack to do and a more consistent voltage under load

so any discussion, info ect is appreciated

(image source http://www.zbattery.com/Connecting-Batteries-in-Series-or-Parallel)

I could be wrong here but I thought the batteries should be the same to run parallel. If you run series, they can be different voltage wise but should be the same mah and C rating.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

thanks rolex i did a little more research,

both my 6V hump packs are the same both 1500MAH both NI-MH they're both identical other than brand

ones ansmann and the other is turnigy

If that's the case, you're good to go.
A receiver can run between 4.8 and 6V, but it sounded like that might have been the differing voltage on the two packs.

If that's the case, you're good to go.
A receiver can run between 4.8 and 6V, but it sounded like that might have been the differing voltage on the two packs.

i should have clarified,

i have 2 6v packs and a 4.8v pack

so two 6V packs for the savage and a singe 4.8V for my tamiya

Okay, got it. You can run the two 6V packs in parallel but....
and wait for another battery wizard to comment....
you might have to use a 3000 mAH charge rate rather than 1500 since you double the capacity but not the voltage.

two 6V packs for the savage

Works well. I use to run 2/1200mAh 6V flat packs in parallel on one of my race maxx rigs years ago.
I didn’t charge both @ the same time so I can’t comment on that either.